• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Maker's Diet

Has anyone heard of this book or read it? I have never heard of it before and my father-in-law's new girlfriend (who is a nurse and a nutritionist) bought it for me the other day. It was written by a guy who has Crohn's disease. I'm only to page 50, but it has quite the religious spin on it. Just wondered if anyone was familiar with it.

nogutsnoglory

I read some of the Makers Diet but anything with a religious spin doesn't fly by me, I am spiritual but do not believe in the bible literally by any means. Some of it is good and some is bad, experiment with what works for you in all aspects of life.

I have the book and read it. It's not bad, but I have read other books that I found more beneficial than this one. I did not get the "wow" factor from this book, if you know what I mean.

GoJohnnyGo said:
Quackwatch summary

I'd proceed with skepticism.

I did try the Primal Defense capsules. Very expensive and had minimal effect.
Wow - see, I knew one of you would have good info. It just floored me that this woman gave me this *religious* of a book as she is in no way religious. Thanks for the info!!!

I have the book too. Wanted to follow the diet until I got obstructions and
now I can't. Too many raw veggies required. Oh well.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
It's been around awhile.....I use to buy the Ezekiel bread at the grocery store when I did Weight Watchers 7 years ago. I have never read much about it only the theory of why we should do it......yada yada.

nogutsnoglory

imisspopcorn said:
It's been around awhile.....I use to buy the Ezekiel bread at the grocery store when I did Weight Watchers 7 years ago. I have never read much about it only the theory of why we should do it......yada yada.
OMG really? Ezekiel bread I had it a few times, aside from tasting nasty it just seems like a nightmare for crohn's.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
nogutsnoglory said:
OMG really? Ezekiel bread I had it a few times, aside from tasting nasty it just seems like a nightmare for crohn's.
I was eating card board at that point if it was low in points.....This was post-pregnancy and I was still pretty healthy Crohn's wise.

Well, I have no idea what to think. After reading GJG's link I'm thinking chunk it in the garbage - they guy must be a wacko con man.

Good part of this woman coming to visit is she is a nurse and nutritionist like I said - and somehow she has easily convinced my husband in two days to get rid of his Diet Coke habit (of decades) and start drinking water - AND to finally let me start buying all organic food - which hubby has fought for years. So, at least I get that from the visit.

Dirt? I was immediately skeptical when I read that.......

nogutsnoglory

Nytefyre said:
I read the book then gave it to my dad. I laughed at the dirt idea. Narrow-minded of me, I know.
Thats probably the only part I take seriously. I do believe Jordan Rubin's claim that we need the Homeostatic soil organisms (dirt).

Logically speaking we used to eat and play in dirt and we are so far from our natural state now which is likely the cause of many of our problems.

In the past we didn't wash veggies like we do now, we had some dirt (bacteria) on it and it was good. The soil organisms were also different before the modern day pollution. So I don't suggest going out to eat dirt from the backyard but buying a supplement seems wise.

I have also just started reading it Peaches. It was lent to me by a friend about 3 years ago and I just ignored it, but thought I'd give it a try. I think you can bypass the spiritual stuff if it's not for you, but I'm inetersted to see the diet at the end. I'll reserve judgement till I'm done.

My husband has been on Primal Defense for ten years...it has helped a lot. I do not believe Jordan Rubin to be a quack.

Well, I picked it back up and continued reading last night. The person that gave it to me said to just glean the stuff out of it that feels right.

I am a religious person - I was just totally turned off in the beginning with his kitchy references to 40 days to the land of health (like 40 days and nights with Noah and the Ark) and several other religious references that he is mixing in with "his" idea. IDK - not a good idea to mix religion with marketing to me I guess - kind of a turn off. And then reading the link that Johnny provided - with multi million dollar lawsuits for false claims?? I guess I am just skeptical.

I'll keep reading and try and keep an open mind. I did go to the health food store yesterday and his products are *all* over the supplement isle.

Yeah I'm also always skeptical! I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the supplements in SA, but I like the organic slant and think that may be beneficial so far.

Samantha - I don't know if you guys can order from Amazon.com from over there but I just looked up his vitamins last night (Vitamin Code) and they were $40 at Whole Foods and only $25 at Amazon. MUCH cheaper...... The friend of mine that gave me the book also gave me some of these vitamins to try and they seem to be the first ones I have tried that don't upset my gut. I'm thinking it is because they don't have nasty fillers in them. Only tried them a couple of times - so I'm going to order them and see how a full month goes. I've never been on vitamins - and just feel like I really need them.

We are switching to all organic as well (finally!!). I have tried to do this multiple times in the past by my husband has always caused friction with it (and he is the health nut!) - said it wasn't proven and that it is too expensive. It just made common sense to me. He is finally on board....so we'll see how that goes as well.