• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

1st Remicade Infusion

J

jjs16

Greetings,

I had my first Remicade infusion on Friday evening.

I have had Chrons for 30+ years and for the most part lived med free. I had a bowel resection 29 years ago and was able to stay med free for most of my life. I started having great difficulties about two years ago and started taking meds to ease the pain and symptoms, I had great success with Prednisone, but once I tapered down to about 5mgs the pain in my right abdomen started up again. I have strictures formed where my surgery was performed.

It looked like I would require another surgery, I asked my Doctor about other options and Remicade came up. The cost of this treatment can be extremely prohibitive if you don't have a good drug benefit plan however, luckily I have such a plan.

Anyway I did a lot of research and decided to try it out. I had to do a bit of paper work and go for a chest X-ray and TB tests before starting the program. I am to go at 0 weeks, 2 weeks, 6 weeks and then every 8 weeks for a three hour infusion. The clinic is open after hours so it doesn't affect my job to much.

I had the infusion without any problems, it can cause an allergic reaction such as peanuts do for some people. I had Benedral first and than the Remicade. The Benedral made me drowsy that was about it. I'm now three days post infusion and I seem to be OK, no earth shattering differences but very little pain, my gut still gurgles, (I hope this clears up). If I had stopped using Prednisone for three days I would be in a fair bit of pain, so I think it's working.

I go back in two weeks for the second infusion and I'll let you know if any thing changes between now and then. I hope it works like it seems to for most people. Time will tell.

j

:stinks: :canada_flag:

J

jjs16

Hi Katiesue,

Thanks for your thoughts.

How long have you been on Remicade?

j

Kev

Hey, glad to hear it went well. You really must have a great insurance plan. I AM JUST ASSUMING that it was in place BEFORE your condition ever existed.
(As the cast of Monty Python were known to say.. Say no more, say no more)

J

jjs16

Hi Kev,

I am blessed with a wife who works for a Canadian communications giant with a red colour scheme.......no questions asked nudge-nudge wink-wink, ya know wot i mean........

the monty python line brings back memories

j

:ylol2:

Well I only had 3 or 4 infusions before I was switched to Humira because my gastro was testing it in his office (I think only 2 other patients are currently on it) and it's only costing me a 40 dollar copay for a 3 month supply.

But after the first couple infusions I was also really sleepy and drowsy, but then the 3rd and 4th ones I was fine after... mostly because I was more relaxed; enough so to kinda cat nap a bit in between BP readings.

Kev

Oh, the Canadian Broadcorping Castration.. yes, yes, quite familiar with it...

And speaking of Monty Python, many years ago, the late, great peter gzowski tried to prove to Canada that we could support a late nite talkshow of our own. to prove his point, he live broadcast segments from all parts of Canada, including St John's, Newfoundland featuring live skits from cast members of Monty Python. One of these was shot on the deck of a lil cape islander fishing boat. regretably, nobody informed the python cast it didn't have all the niceities.. including inboard plumbing or conveniences. when the boats rocking got tooo much for one of the pythons, you should have seen the look on his face when faced with the news there was 'no' privy on board. Up to and including when he broke character and hung his head over the side. Priceless live televison, reality television before its day.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread and go off topic.. And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming... (relax, computer geeks, its not what I meant)

jjs16 said:
Hi Kev,

I am blessed with a wife who works for a Canadian communications giant with a red colour scheme.......no questions asked nudge-nudge wink-wink, ya know wot i mean........

the monty python line brings back memories

j

:ylol2: