• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Active symptoms diet advice needed.

Hi,

I am currently diagnosed with IBS-C, have been for 30 years. However, this may soon change as I the consultant who has been fobbing me off for years is finally moving on.

I am on here today to get some advice as to what has worked for you with active symptoms as I find I naturally gravitate against the standard advice on treatments for IBS-C as they tend to make my symptoms worse. I am not able to seek medical help at the moment, so am having to do what I can at home. Everytime I give in and see the Nurse, all I get is "eat more fibre, get exercise" But I know that when I have active pain, if I try to eat it only gets worse and I can NEVER tolerate grains or lots of veg/fruit fibre - they just immediately make me constipated. Also, when I'm in as much pain as I'm in, exercise is the last thing on my mind!

So, I haven't been able to have a SBM for about 3 weeks - I have had to rely on suppositories and home enemas to get any relief. Then, the intense pain started and I know from experience that the only thing to do then is stop eating and allow my bowel to gradually empty. This usually only takes about 3 days and I can start gradually eating again. However this time the pain just wont quit. I haven't been able to eat since Sunday (5th day now). I have active RLQ pain and constant rumblings of trapped gas. I am still using the suppositories and am getting very small results daily. My bowel feels empty except for the right side which is possibly still slightly blocked, I really cant tell.

I'm really hungry now, but I think I should not eat until the pain has gone. I am still working on the assumption that I may still be constipated but I cant tolerate many of the standard laxatives so I have been taking peppermint oil and drinking coconut oil with plenty of fluids to try and move things through. However, would it be better to try and eat something? If I do have Crohn's - and at least one GP has suggested that it's possible, would I do damage if I try and eat when I'm in pain?

Any tips on what might settle the pain? Thanks all.

Hi, how about trying a smoothie with something nutritious in it, so it’s easier for your small intestine to digest? As for the pain, I got some Tramadol off my GP which I found works.

Lynda Lynda

I wish I had an answer for you.
But not eating doesn't sound good.
Trying to self-diagnose could be harming yourself instead of helping.
You cannot treat something until you know what it is.
❤