• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Allergic to Stelara infusion

My 14YO went for his last hope with Stelara and IMMEDIATELY had a reaction, could not breathe within 30 seconds, coughing so hard was breaking blood vessels, then got hives, a swollen face, lips, eye lids, hives, rash. Nurse stopped the drip and pushed fluids, something else and benadryl. He was better in 30 minutes. Just to inform that you can be allergic!

He is also allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, mold, ragweed, dogs, horses, and CD!!

my little penguin

Staff member
Allergic kiddo here as well- food /pollens /drugs
Age 14 as well
Did they pre treat with iv solumedrol prior to starting Stelara infusion (not that it help
Now ;) )?

Ds had 250 mg of iv solumedrol
Then Stelara infusion

So far so good

He has reacted to remicade infusions though

There is a parents group here

What drugs has your child tried ?

as always the plot has thickened around my house! He ended up having surgery and 12" removed, had an unknown fistula and fixed that too. 5 weeks out he gets a bump in his stomach-i can post pics if interested. That bump grew, went to ER-told its a skin infection and give ANTIBIOTICS!!!. Next day in the ER again, within an hour the "skin infection" burst open. It was NOT a skin infection it was a fistula that made its way to the stich line from Feb's surgery.
Now the 14YO is on a 4-6 liquid diet of BOOST an ENSURE to quiet down his small instestine.

We tried to return to Remicade after the surgey and he reacted to that as well. blood work cam back he has antibodies to remicade. (previous med was humira adn devolped antibodies to that as well).

The diet is awful---going to search for the parent group.

Allergic kiddo here as well- food /pollens /drugs
Age 14 as well
Did they pre treat with iv solumedrol prior to starting Stelara infusion (not that it help
Now ;) )?

Ds had 250 mg of iv solumedrol
Then Stelara infusion

So far so good

He has reacted to remicade infusions though

There is a parents group here

What drugs has your child tried ?

sorry forgot to mention...He was not premedicated for Stelara, but was always for Remicade.

Maya142

Staff member
There is a LOT of info on Exclusive Enteral Nutrition - formula only - on the Parents' group/