• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any thoughts on which "diet" is best?

There seems to be confusion, as always, on dietary approaches to IBD. I have read about the diet limiting certain carbs, others advocating for a Mediterranean/anti-inflamatory type diet, etc....

my personal bias is towards whole foods, eliminating processed stuff, eating a lot of whole grains, fruits, veggies,

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts though?

my little penguin

Staff member
It depends
On what your trying to do
Exclusive enteral nutrition (formula only no solids )
For 6-8 weeks is as effective at healing the gut as steriods
But lost GI back to food
Some at chop and Bch have had success with 80% formula
20% food after doing 6/8 weeks of een

Few adults have success with scd
Most kids end up losing weight

There is the Crohns exclusive diet
Basically allwhole foods limiting other stuff

Ds takes meds
Uses mostly whole organic food / probiotics and 50% enteral nutrition (neocate jr )

crohnsinct

One of my daughters has seen good results with a plant based diet as a compliment to her Remicade therapy. She was technically in remission but when we cut over to a plant based, whole foods diet her health really took off. We are still looking for what will work for my second daughter.

For everyone it is different. Probably because everyone's microbiota is different. Our old GI used to say that he had a lot of hope for the diets that are being developed and that they would probably have as many different diets as there are phenotypes for the disease. I don't think we are there yet. First all the different phenotypes have to be identified and then the diets can be developed. However, I definitely think it will happen in our kids' lifetime.

Usually once my symptoms are under control it helps me to maintain remission by cutting out whole grains and dairy and doing my best to stick with soft low fiber foods. However my Crohn's is still pretty active at the moment and my appetite is not great so lately a liquid diet helps me get from day to day.

My son has cut off glutens and dairy products. We have kept him in remission in a year until his recent flare three months ago. But we will continue to try gluten-free and dairy-free foods.

We went to Dr Grovitt - ibdinkids.com. He taught us a lot about foods to avoid and foods to eat. Highly recommend contacting him. It's been helpful here.

We went to Dr Grovitt - ibdinkids.com. He taught us a lot about foods to avoid and foods to eat. Highly recommend contacting him. It's been helpful here.
ibdinkids.com doesn't see to be a valid website.

My son has been on Remicade + SCD diet for 1.5 years. Hard to tell if diet is helping while doing remicade at the same time.

Dr Suskind in Seattle Children's relaxes the strict SCD if child is in remission:

Dr. Baldassano at Phila. Children's advocates more for the Mediterranean Diet and kind of poo-poohs the SCD diet as not scientifically proven.

Mrs Weiss at Wellbee's does dietary consultations for IBD