• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone had their fistula "lowered"

Hi, I have a seton in situ for a mid-high transphicteric fistula.
Anyone had a similar fistula become lower through the long-term use of draining seton?

Hi, I think this may have just happened to me! I just got out of an exam under anesthesia today so I need to get more info from my doc (he spoke to my partner but not me, as I was still under). But I had a draining seton for 12 weeks for middle-depth fistula that crossed through both sphincter muscles. Today we were planning to do a LIFT procedure but when I awoke I had a cutting seton. The doc said the fistula is now only about 2mm deep, so cutting seton should work well and quickly. I am not sure of the muscle involvement or why he didn't lay it open with a regular fistulotomy (I assume there is still muscle involvement), but I will ask him when I am slightly less high from the anesthesia...

I assume that the fistula must have gotten more shallow over the last 12 weeks, as an MRI showed it was deeper before the draining seton. I did think the string seemed a bit longer towards the end, and I would have muscle spasms sometimes that felt like stuff was changing in there.

Hope this info is helpful!

I don't have IBS or Crohns, by the way. i had a perianal abscess that turned into a fistula, likely due to trauma from another surgery.