• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone managed SCD vegetarian?

So, I have been considering the SCD for over a year now. It seems like it really should be my next step. However I have been a fairly strict vegetarian all my life and am concerned that beginning to eat meat would only make my digestive problems worse. I am also hypoglycemic, so getting as much protein as possible is vital for me.

Has anyone tried the SCD as a vegetarian? Has it worked out? If not, do I just need to suck it up and eat meat?

So, I have been considering the SCD for over a year now. It seems like it really should be my next step. However I have been a fairly strict vegetarian all my life and am concerned that beginning to eat meat would only make my digestive problems worse. I am also hypoglycemic, so getting as much protein as possible is vital for me.

Has anyone tried the SCD as a vegetarian? Has it worked out? If not, do I just need to suck it up and eat meat?
Im vegetarian and apply a few concepts from the SCD diet, i believe removing meat is beneficial to ibd some studies have shown this. I find that some veggies actually irritate my gi symptoms even when fully cooked, and many grains like oats seem to help which is in contrast to some of the guidelines of the scd which try to reduce the ingestion of starches and polysachrides(complex carbs).
Im starting to believe the main beneficial concepts presented in the SCD diet/breaking the vicious cycle(book title) are to remove refined sugar and disacharides (sucrose and lactose), and ingest homemade yogurt. although I've always had mixed reactions to the yogurt. My opinions are based on about 6 years of evaluating and testing these concepts one by one as opposed to starting the whole system at once.

Hello, I was strict Vegan for a year... then went SCD for a year... my health continued to decline. On either diet I felt no better and no worse. However, I do feel each person needs to figure out what works for them. I am not a believer that there is a Crohn's diet that works for everyone. For me.. moderation is the key. Not too much of anything. I think it's worth a try! Good Luck!

I agree with Melinda, I started the SCD diet about a year ago, I did it for a few months and it made a massive difference. then I introduced a lot of complex Carbs back in but left out a load of things that could have effected me, there wasn't a massive change (if any). so I think SCD works because it cuts so many things out. But most of these things you can still have.

Its so frustrating that this isn't black and white. But don't focus on a particular diet, focus on how you feel your body reacts to certain foods, create your own diet. (obviously thats really easy to say, and a lot harder to workout. but you will get there.)

Not sure about the vegetarian side of things, I didn't last for more than a month as a veggie! :(

My dd was a lacto-ovo vegetarian and did SCD for close to one year before we took her off it. She also has an anaphylactic tree nut allergy, so the diet was very restricted for her--fruits, vegs, eggs and cheese and that was about it. It did help her health....

She is giving the IBD-AID diet a go now, as it includes soy and oats and will give her more options.