• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Autoimmunity

If both parents to be got two different autoimmune diseases is there an higher danger to pass it to their child ? Is there any scientific way to predict this ?

D

Deleted member 431298

Hi December's flower. Newest research indicate Crohn's is not a classical autoimmune diesase (like Hashimoto's, where you can find antibodies against the body's own cells). Rather it's an immunodeficiendy, where the body responds inadequately to something. NOD2 and CARD16 as well as other genes seem to be involved, meaning that there is some genetic predisposition to the disease. But it seems there has to be one or more trigger(s).
The way I like to think about it is: some people will get the flu during winter, some won't. It comes down to how their immune system is wired as well as whether they are exposed to the virus.
So what seems to be current consensus is that your child may or may not be predisposed, but the disease will only break out if... which is where things start to be vague in the litterature: Bacterial infection? yeast infection? both? Certain foods?... I wish I knew.
Anyway, I think we need to err on the side of caution and set an example to our kids to stay clear of milk products (mycobacterium paratuberculosis exposure), gluten (molecular mimicry), and too much alcohol (gut bacteria destruction etc.)
hope this is will be food for thought - pun intended :)

Based on the research of others and my own amatuer research, I think the most likely culprit in many so called autoimmune diseases is the presence of one or more strains of mycoplasma. In particular mycoplasma fermentans and/or mycoplasma pneumonia.

While many people can have these bacterium in small amounts with no consequences, they are opportunistic. Under the right circumstances they can take off and invade different areas of the body in large numbers. When they take to the intestines then that starts an autoimmune type response in the normal defenses present are no longer effective due to the mycoplasma altering rhe immune response.

I think this starts the cascade of other pathogens to take hold and increase in large numbers such as MAP, H-Pylori, AIEC, and others.

Of course I could be wrong, but it is the hypothesis that makes the most sense to me.

Dan

D

Deleted member 431298

Dan,
I did notice recent research outcome suggest a combination of opportunistic pathogens grow and form a biofilm which in turn causes inflammation. I read about the combination s. marcescens, candida tropicalis and AIEC. (Hoarau, G et.al, 2016)*
The idea that mycoplasma infection comes prior though is new to me, at least when it comes to IBD. Do you have any references to share?
cheers

*https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27651359

I don't have any studies that indicate mycoplasma comes first. That is certainly not always the case but logically it fits in my mind. I don't even think mycoplasma is always involved, but it was one of the two worst offenders of four symptom wise in my unconventional experiments on myself. The other was H-Pylori. There is an immune system component to the disease and it could be induced by something like mycoplasma or genetic and possibly other causes.

Infants that have Crohn's could be explained by mycoplasma that is found in a small percentage of vaccines and probably is also passed from the mother to the child. Since it is intracellular this would be quite likely.

I don't believe that there is any one cause for Crohn's as I believe it can be a single pathogen causing symptoms, but likely more often is a poly microbial disease. That explains why it is so difficult to get a handle on resolving it. MAP is often involved and may be a single cause in some people but more often than not, I think it is more than one pathogen.

Garth Nicolson is the expert on mycoplasma. His work is pretty interesting concerning autoimmune diseases and mycoplasma.

Below is examples of the research on mycoplasma & Crohn's.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1012352626117

http://www.anzjsurg.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/anzjs/file/SRS meeting 2009.pdf

It is easier just to click on the references at the bottom of this article.

https://elbiruniblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2018/10/intestinal-mycoplasma-and-crohns-disease.html

Dan

Thank you all for posting 😀
Me and my fiance are seriously thinking of having a baby.
From the day he entered my life he completed me , made me forget about the rest.
He is a wonderful person.
Unfortunately he had an episode of optic neuritis 8 months ago, and the doctor is suspecting that he has a bening multiple sclerosis.
My mother in law also battles lupus for about 40 years.
Thank god he is doing well since then ,4 days of IV cortisone helped him to gain completely his vision back but I it's hard for me to imagine the possibility of our baby sick of any serious autoimmune illness.

Lupus probably involves mycoplasma and MAP has also been implicated if I remember correctly.

MS is often misdiagnosed and lyme disease can in some cases be the actual problem. Mycoplasma along with lyme makes it much worse. MS is one of the diseases thought to have mycoplasma involved. Mycoplasma fermentans in particular.

Not many doctors know much about mycoplasma so very few ever do any testing, much less treat for it.

Your baby is not guaranteed to have any illness just because its in the family. Certainly it is something to watch for but not everyone gets this stuff.

Dan

You do encourage me a lot 😀
I have never had heard about mycoplasma before and just searched it...
Is it an std ?
And you can have some kind of blood test to check whether you got it or not?

It can be sexually transmitted but you can get the more common strains various ways. It has been found in some vaccines.

Mycoplasma pneumonia is pretty common. It only becomes a problem when it gets out of control. Typically causing walking pneumonia. Mycoplasma fermentans is usually the one typically implicated in various autoimmune diseases. That isn’t rare either. About half the population carries it. Thats pretty good proof that is isn’t a problem for everyone.

Yes there are ways to test for it but most doctors dont. At least in my area they do not. Most doctors know little about it.

Clongen labs is a popular lab that does mycoplasma testing

. Dan