• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Breakfast cereals

I have an idea of what I can and can’t eat in general.

Though when it comes to cereals what are the best low fibre cereals? (UK)

I used to love crunchy nut corn flakes but definitely cannot eat that now! I have also checked coco pops and they looks like they are high in fibre :(

Please post any cereals that you eat or are low in fibre that you might think will be good!

:)

D

Deleted member 431298

I say the typical type of cereals is an absolute no go with IBD.
Milk is a no go for sure, because of the risk of MAP infection.
The cereals with refined sugars added are feeding the bad bacteria and will make symptoms worse. Also they are very poor sources of the micronutrients we IDB patients need badly. Not a good way to start the day diet I would say.

It is much better for the gut bacteria to have unsweetened fruit, nuts, berries, maybe an egg and an advocado or other all natural foods.
If the digestion seems to agrees with grain, then regular homemade oatmeal would be the way to go. I put raw cocoa and raisins on top. Maybe a little honey for sweetening.

I make almond milk out of almonds, dates, and filtered water. The Crohn's kids have that instead of dairy on their cereal.

my little penguin

Staff member
We have done every non dairy milk here (except nut due to tree nut allergy )
No difference in Crohns symptoms at all on that versus organic cows milk
Over 7 years clean scopes until we switched to Stelara
Even then mucousal healing was taking place

Cereal
Plain Cheerios
Fruity Cheerios
Chocolate cheerios
Life cereal

For fun snacks (not breakfast )
Fruit loops (or organic version )
Apple Jacks

Mostly mine drinks neocate jr chocolate for breakfast
Since half his calories are formula ;)

We have done every non dairy milk here (except nut due to tree nut allergy )
No difference in Crohns symptoms at all on that versus organic cows milk
Over 7 years clean scopes until we switched to Stelara
Even then mucousal healing was taking place

T

Cereal
Plain Cheerios
Fruity Cheerios
Chocolate cheerios
Life cereal

For fun snacks (not breakfast )
Fruit loops (or organic version )
Apple Jacks

Mostly mine drinks neocate jr chocolate for breakfast
Since half his calories are formula ;)

Thanks so much this has been very helpful! Yeah I’ve been fine with milk. I drank it with dinner while I had no clue what was going on with me and was fine, still am now so I’ll continue drinking it until there is a problem :)

Lynda Lynda

I say the typical type of cereals is an absolute no go with IBD.
Milk is a no go for sure, because of the risk of MAP infection.
The cereals with refined sugars added are feeding the bad bacteria and will make symptoms worse. Also they are very poor sources of the micronutrients we IDB patients need badly. Not a good way to start the day diet I would say.

It is much better for the gut bacteria to have unsweetened fruit, nuts, berries, maybe an egg and an advocado or other all natural foods.
If the digestion seems to agrees with grain, then regular homemade oatmeal would be the way to go. I put raw cocoa and raisins on top. Maybe a little honey for sweetening.
You can eat all that ? 😕
I cannot eat nuts, seeds, raisins, eggs, berries......etc, etc. I sure miss eggs. 🙁
Take Care. 🙂

D

Deleted member 431298

You can eat all that ? 😕
I cannot eat nuts, seeds, raisins, eggs, berries......etc, etc. I sure miss eggs. 🙁
Take Care. 🙂
When the CD is in remission, I can. When I am experiencing a flare I cut out most of it and return to vegetable soup :(

most cereals are FULL OF SUGAR. You don't need it. yes they can be low fat, low calorie but doesn't remove great amounts of sugars anyway.