• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Butter vs extra virgin olive oil - Which one is more healthy? Which one do you choose? Why?

I think it depends what you're doing with it. Some oils change in structure when they're heated and are less good for you, whilst they're ok if not heated. Personally, I choose to use coconut oil. I haven't found any other oil that agrees with me as well as coconut oil does, and it's one where heating it doesn't cause a lot of damage to the oils structure.

Both Good!!!!!
Butter good if you are ok with dairy, (Ghee better than butter for cooking -higher cooking temperature, more stable)
Olive oil good but good olive oil better than cheap shit olive oil, not for high temp cooking though

The Definitive Guide to Oils
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/#axzz3Jp9Vu0Ty
The Complete Guide to Fats and Oils – What to Cook With (or not), What to Avoid and Why
http://www.realfoodkosher.com/complete-guide-to-fats-and-oils/
Making Sense of Healthy Cooking Oils and Fats
http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/making-sense-of-healthy-cooking-oils-fats/

Neither for cooking.
Olive oil as addition to food or on a toast.
No butter, got the feeling it's not doing good for me, so I avoid it.

I like the bitterness of the olive oil. Find it somewhat refreshing

I use butter and olive oil for almost everything - not together - but depending on my supply in the house. I also use coconut oil.

It's cold here and it smells like a tropical vacation. Oh, and my Crohn's kid loved it when she could still do food, too!

extra virgin olive oil, it's highly anti-inflammatory i understand. i like dipping bread in olive oil with garlic. (garlic is also anti-inflammatory isn't it?)

rygon

all depends on the use.
Cold I go for extra virgin
light frying olive oil
high heat groundnut oil
butter for flavouring and baking, although I'd rather use ghee as it tastes so much better

What is the difference between Kerrygold butter and normal butter?

Thanks!
Grass fed (10 months of the year)
Being from NZ i didn't really get it, y'know -cows eat grass right?
Not so, you can keep them in a shed and feed them grain and make butter but it's not as good.

I think Grass-fed butter trumps coconut oil in nutrition since it has more monounsaturated fat and omega 3 fatty acids.

Extra virgin olive oil is an even better source of monounsaturated fat, but the high omega 6 content makes me want to use it sparingly. If not for being low salicylate for treating my fistula I would pour it on dark leafy greens only.

For sautéing I prefer grass-fed ghee and coconut oil (currently avoiding also for high salicylate content) for the high temp smoke point.

They each have their own strengths and weakness from a nutritional and functional standpoint. Macadamia nut oil is also a contender, but very expensive and hard to find in local grocers.

Kerry Gold is the most widely available grass-fed butter brand in the US. In California, you can find it at Costco at a good discount. I've also seen it at Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. Check your local chains.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I haven't cooked with butter at home for a few years now and I haven't missed it or even noticed really. I always use EVOO or coconut oil.

David

Co-Founder
Kerry Gold is the most widely available grass-fed butter brand in the US. In California, you can find it at Costco at a good discount. I've also seen it at Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. Check your local chains.
Do you know if it's still 100% grass fed or have they had to back off that as it has become more popular?