• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can 6-MP cause cancer ?

My GI doc is putting me on 100 mg of Mercaptopurine 6-MP and told me I could get skin cancer or blood cancer because my immune system will be suppressed. Has anyone else ever been told this ? What is the likelihood of getting skin or blood cancer ? I am considering going off 6-MP on my own and trying an aloe vera supplement that has kept a lot of people in remission.

Its a rare scenario, was what our GI told us. My husband was on 50 mg for 6 months and the only side effects he had was hairfall and gas. Hair fall stabilized after 2 months and gas stopped after he came off the meds. GI told us to be on the lookout for side effects the first 2 weeks. He said if the medicine doesnt agree with your body, you will know immediately. If you cross the 2 week mark and feel ok, 6-MP is ok for you.

He also said the major side effects (like lymphoma) are possible if you are on it for more than 2 years and he promised he will only put him on for 6 months. There are a lot of people on this forum who are on it for a long time. Hope they pop in and help!

Good luck :)

I was on Imuran the sister drug for a bit over a year. It does slightly increase your risk of cancer. Primarily melanoma because it causes sun sensitivity (so wear sunscreen). Lymphoma like Madhu said is primarily seen in long term users (2+ years). And is still very rare. Uncontrolled Crohns is more dangerous in that continual inflammation can lead to increased cancer risk. It worked awesome for me and I only had a bit of fatigue that reduced after 3 weeks. I would strongly reccomend staying on it. It's an effective drug that has proven studies behind it.

Last edited: