• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can i take codeine while on LDN

Hi all i need some advice,I've just picked up my prescription for Ldn but the thing is i have to take codeine almost every day due to crohn's what will happen if i take codeine while on ldn any help would be appreciated :)

valleysangel92

Staff member
Although I don't have experience with LDN, I know that generally in the UK conflicting medications will not be prescribed together. Was the person who prescribed the LDN aware you are taking codine? In Wales at least, the computer system used in GPs and hospitals is designed to prevent the prescription of conflicting medications. If the computer system has a record of someone having one medication (for example, ibprophen) it will flash red if an interacting drug (for example, aspirin) is prescribed at a later date. This is not an absolute guarantee though.

I have tried to look it up, but I can't find anything of much use, LDN is still a relatively uncommon treatment, especially in the UK.

If it was me, I would call my GI and ask them if it is ok to take the two medications together, or i would go and have a chat to my pharmacist, they are usually pretty good at noticing possible interactions in my experience.

Of course, if the LDN does its job, you shouldn't be needing the codine for too much longer anyway as you should start to feel better.

nogutsnoglory

When I was considering LDN, I was told I cannot be on any opioid pain killer or anti-diarrhea agent. I was told to stop it for 2 weeks prior to LDN by an LDN knowledgeable pharmacist. I don't know about the interaction or if it's just less effective.