• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Capsule Endoscopy

Hello,

I am waiting to take my first capsule endoscopy test and I am a bit nervous. I have done every other diagnostic procedure for Crohn’s, but all that has come back is a very vague MRI result showing a little bit of swelling in the ileum, breath positive sibo and stool positive malabsorption.

From my understanding of Crohn’s it really sounds like I have it (flares with nocturnal diarrhea, weight loss, loss of appetite, nausea, fatigue, joint pain) and my GI is following the subtle clues but I am so scared the capsule endoscopy will show up negative despite the fact I experience discomfort or pain there everyday.

Is it possible to catch Crohn’s too early to be diagnosed? Is the capsule endoscopy more reliable than the other tests? I have been suffering from some of the “extraintestinal” symptoms for years - I am just wishing for some relief. And it seems like a lot of people with Crohn’s get diagnosed by the capsule.

curlywurly

Hi miaxochi
I am sure the capsule Endoscopy will answer a lot of questions for you.
I think it is better than a normal endoscopy not as invasive for a start yes you have to take bowel prep and fast for a few hours but the results will be a lot more clear. I have mine at the end of July hope all goes well for you sending hugs your way.