• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia vs Humira

Does anyone have experience with using Cimzia (certolizumab)? My spouse's lovely insurance rejected Humira shots every week, so her Rheumatologist is switching her to Cimzia.

We really want to know what people think.

Thanks,

Dr. S

Crohn's Mom

My daughter actually just had her first loading dose of Cimzia today. It was relatively uneventful, so that is a good thing in my mind.
The only thing we noticed today is that about an hour or so after the injections she got really tired, and then slept for about 3 hours.

Just want to wish your Wife the best of luck !
Our GI refers to Cimzia as the "bad ass new one that puts the other 2 to shame!"
We shall see I guess :)

You might want to check out the CImzia Club topic, or just do a search for Cimzia. There's not a ton of us on it, but there is some info out there that may help you. Best of luck, hope Cimzia is the answer for her!

To answer your question, it worked for me for almost a year and it was GREAT. Then it lost its efficacy. We then added 6MP and Pred. That also kind of worked. I'm now trying to decide on whether or not I want to join a clinical trial for an Interleukin (IL6)drug or continue with these meds that are only "kind of" working. But when Cimzia worked for me, it REALLY worked. For awhile I almost forgot I had Crohn's. I hope it works as well and much, much longer for your wife.

I don't honestly understand what the difference is between Cimzia and Humira. I think they are both injected in a similar fashion into the skin.

The big difference is that Cimzia is once a month, Humira is twice a month. There are some formulation differences too but for the lay person...it's the frequency.

OK thanks. My son now takes Humira weekly as he needed it more often than twice a month which he had for a few years. Once a month would be great (frequency)!

My daughter actually just had her first loading dose of Cimzia today. It was relatively uneventful, so that is a good thing in my mind.
The only thing we noticed today is that about an hour or so after the injections she got really tired, and then slept for about 3 hours.

Just want to wish your Wife the best of luck !
Our GI refers to Cimzia as the "bad ass new one that puts the other 2 to shame!"
We shall see I guess :)
I was on Remicade then Humira and Cimzia just before my surgery. I don't think I was able to give it a chance before my surgery as my strictures were so bad. So my doc wants me to start it again. I am reluctant as the others mentioned worked in the beginning then either had terrible side effects (blurred vision, etc) that I don't really have a lot of faith! BUT the surgery didn't work either so here we go!

The difference between Humira and cimzia is:
1 Humira is an intact monoclonal Ab vs TnF. It lasts 2 weeks.
2 Cimzia is an mAb fragment attached to polyethylene glycol to make it last longer in the body.
However, the quantity of protein used for the two drugs is greatly different.
120 mg loading dose for humira vs 400 mg loading dose for cimzia. Subsequent doses of Cimzia are still quite higher than for humira.
The large amount of protein injected can cause loss of efficacy that some have reported in this forum and side effects, ie sleepiness. Also with Cimzia you can develop antibodies to both the protein Cimzia and the PEG.

For longer lasting drug Samponi is another option it lasts 4 weeks and it also a human monoclonal antibody.
Finally there is Consumer reports article that compares the different types of meds for IBD.