• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Conceiving and sulfasalazine

I am currently on 3,000 mg of sulfasalazine for my UC. I go back to my primary doctor in March to hopefully have my dosage changed to the maintenance dose of 2,000 mg. I have not had a flare since April of last year (2015) when I was diagnosed after spending a week in the hospital. My husband and I are wanting to start having children. Have any of you been pregnant while on sulfasalazine and breastfed? I haven't spoken to my primary or OB/GYN about this yet just wanted some information before hand. Also what prenatal vitamins would you recommend? Thanks for any help!

I haven't been on Sulfasalazine but was on Remicade through most of my pregnancy. Little guy is 15 months now and doing great. I did have to get my Crohns into remission before I could get pregnant. We tried for a long time but I think I was always a little flared. I did the One a day prenatal vitamins or the ones my dr prescribed. I did go off the Remicade the last trimester and then breastfed for 4 months. I switched medications to Cimzia. I really don't recommend switching meds. I've had problem after problem since. I think with the hormone changes and stuff i should have just stayed with what was familiar. But good luck to you :)

When we were trying to conceive my GI changed my meds from Sulfasalazine to Colazal. He said the sulfa part was not good in last trimester or breastfeeding I thought. I would mention it to both doctors.