• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could azathioprine be insufficient for some Crohn's patients?

What do you mean by insufficient? Do you mean to ask that will it not work for some people? In that case yes, azathioprine may not work for everyone. Typically your doctor would ask for a blood test to see if one could metabolize azathioprine at all.

Scipio

Yes, it is certainly possible for azathioprine to be insufficient for any given patient. It's a pretty good medicine in general, but it doesn't work for everyone and some cannot tolerate the side effects.

Trysha

Staff member
It didn’t work for me plus I had side effects from it.
If you are having problems it may be best to let your GI know so that treatment can be reviewed.

Lynda Lynda

I just read an article that said that Crohn's is now termed as an "immune related" disease. It said azathioprine was a "prodrug" of 6mp. It sounded like 6mp and azathioprine are not exactly the same drug? I'm new to this as I was just diagnosed with Crohn's two months ago.

I have been taking 6mp for 6 weeks. I have routine blood draws. No major side effects.

Take Care

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I just read an article that said that Crohn's is now termed as an "immune related" disease. It said azathioprine was a "prodrug" of 6mp. It sounded like 6mp and azathioprine are not exactly the same drug? I'm new to this as I was just diagnosed with Crohn's two months ago.

I have been taking 6mp for 6 weeks. I have routine blood draws. No major side effects.

Take Care
Lynda, azathioprine being the prodrug of 6MP means that azathioprine is converted into 6MP in the body. You get the same end result when you take either one, but some people find that taking 6MP directly instead of azathioprine gives them fewer side effects (because the body has to do less work in converting the drug into the active form) :)