• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and depression

This has probably been talked about before but I could not find a current thread.

In the past I have suffered from severe depression at times and have been on many anti-depressants. I am entering this phase again and this will be the first time since I was diagnosed with Crohn's. My doctor does not want me on an anti-depressant right now with all of the other meds I am on.

I was just wondering how many of you suffer from depression and if so how do you deal with it? Meds, herbs or what?

Thanks in advance!!

Marcia

I suffer depression sometimes and severe other times. I never completely get over that. I was on Celexa for a while but now I am better with out it.

Good luck
Just make yourself think of your positives instead of your negatives. That makes me feel happy.

Jeff

ive been on some sort of anti-depressant since I started getting sick..then they figured out the crohns. Without the meds I get fairly depressed, to say the least.

If your doc won't give you any meds. Keep yourself surrounded by humor in any form you can get it.:thumright:

molly

B

Bananasplit22

i was diagnosed w/ depression about 2-3 years before i was with ibd..i've taken zoloft, lexapro, i dont know if i tried others, now i'm taking cymbalta...

just try doing as many fun activites as you can, surround yourself with people you care about you, get lots of hobbies...=]

D

DannyB

Hye Marcia,

This is a good point that you have brought up. Depression is a serious illness and if left untreated can become very dangerous indeed. In the UK alone there is an alarming number of people under the age of 25 taking there lives due to severe depression. I urge any of you feeling down to talk to someone or email anyone of us for a chat.

M

Mickeyg

I think anyone with a chronic disease will cause you to be depressed. It's very had to deal with not feeling well and trying to live a normal life. I usually only get depressed when I am in the middle of a blockage.

T

Trixie329

I was put on Elavil (amiltriptaline) for depression when first diagnosed. I was told that this particular antidepressant actually worked to help alleviate pain in the guts too.

If you feel you need meds please pursue this with your doctor. In my mind it is unacceptable to not treat you. Depression should never be taken lightly.

Big giant hugs to you

L

little_sami

I feel a bit awful saying I do get depressed since I don't have it as bad as most of you guys, but it's more the thought that I will always have this, that it could get much worse, the thought of having surgery and losing my dignity etc that gets me down from time to time, though i wouldn't say it was anything severe enough to take medication for.

I have been on anti-depressants in the past but the doc says that was post-natal depression, so unrelated I guess...

little_sami said:
I feel a bit awful saying I do get depressed since I don't have it as bad as most of you guys, but it's more the thought that I will always have this, that it could get much worse, the thought of having surgery and losing my dignity etc that gets me down from time to time, though i wouldn't say it was anything severe enough to take medication for.

I have been on anti-depressants in the past but the doc says that was post-natal depression, so unrelated I guess...
I wouldnt worry about feeling bad, we can all relate to the same issues. And while some have it worse than others, we all deal with it diferently. So what isnt a big deal to one, is to another..and so on. :)

A also have that surgery fear..I would rather not be sliced open.

D

DarrylP_Ajax

I suffer from frustration with not being able to eat or do some things, but i cant say i suffer from depression, outside of the CD i have such a great life i cant say that it brings me down that much, i have a great family, fiancee, happy with my job/school, CD is just a little scratch out of my pretty great surroundings, but i am determined to go buy some fix-up paint and beat the CD and get rid of that scratch. If you believe things will get better, they will

B

btcrv

Depression is very serious and should be treated. If your doctor will not allow you to take medication, have you thought about going to a therapist? The results will likely not be as good, but it helps some...

Also, if you are taking prednisone, you may consider making another case with your doctor. It can make you have SEVERE mood swings. Research suggests antidepressants can help to alleviate some of that.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
For myself Marcia, I can honestly say I never suffered with Depression with Crohns. I guess it all boils down to the individual.

K

kitty

i thought i needed antidepressants-i had all the classic symptoms-turned out what i really needed was a proper sleep /wake cycle-with less pain to allow me to do it-so-300mg tramadol throughout the dayand a mild sleeping pill and hour before vbed and a week later-no crying-no worthless thoughts-no-whats the point thoughts..i almost feel like my old self-course,it doesnt get rid of the fatigue i generally feel..but-i am a lot better than i was!
kitty

J

JennaBean1714

I've been on zoloft and elivil, both depression meds. I found that both not only helped with depression but they also helped with stress which is a trigger for my crohns.

V

Valentina

I was on antidepressants once a long time ago, I hated how they made me feel.. or not feel is more like it, I was a walking zombie with no emotions whatsoever. I do feel like I was depressed when I was flaring really badly last year, but didnt want to take them again. I also find a lot of the drugs we are on really play with my moods, and not sure adding more chemicals to the mix would really help me. so Im just hoping for the best, that I will get used to the drugs, and my moods will sort themselves out! lol

JennaBean1714 said:
I've been on zoloft and elivil, both depression meds. I found that both not only helped with depression but they also helped with stress which is a trigger for my crohns.
I am just starting zoloft. I was on effexor for a long time but it just wasnt working, so they put me on welbutrin, which helps..but wasnt enough..so now zoloft also.

How long did it take to work for ya? And what dose are you on if I may ask? I know like most of these meds it takes a while...but ya..im curious.

M

meowsie

I'm on paxil and have been off and on for years, even before the Crohn's. It's a small dose, but it's just enough to keep me sane... most days. :)

D

DarrylP_Ajax

Cant say i have ever been depressed, in the past couple months since i started getting CD symptoms and when i was Dx with CD i think i was more pissed off then depressed, spent the last four years living the perfect healthy lifestyle (no drinking, no smoking, no fastfood, all food made from scratch, no caffeine/softdrinks or coffee, u get the picture) and then i get this, it just got me mad that i spent so much time being aware of my health and even though i took all the precautions not only did i get sick, but i got sick with some stupid condition which isnt even curable, it blows....

...but ya, i think my fiancee is my main reason for never really being depressed, she never once didnt support me through all the pain and suffering and she has always been there for me, even when she knows this stupid disease could change me from the person i was....

K

kitty

yes-i think your personal surroundings and playmates are a biiiig help-i know i would be in a far worse state if it wasnt for lovely management(husband!)and ma-in-law-who although she has cancer never fails to show her concern about me-son who is always positive and helpful and doesnt allow me to dwell on the problems cd causes....
o-having a nice job i like helps too-and my garden-last year was horrible as it was the start of cd in january and 8 months before any treatment so all last year i just sat an didnt even want to think about growing vegetables and flowers-this year i am so much better and am out there every oppertunity!
without wanting to sound corny-or worse-smug-i count my blessings for what i have....after nearly popping me clogs last year i realise lifes too short so i live it as well as i can!

and the sleeping tablets enable me to sleep properly for 8 or so hours-
so i really wasnt depressed-just fed up and not treating the symptoms properly-

kitty

Thanks for all of the support ~ my doctor has referred me to a therapist that has experience with Crohn's patients so I am hoping that will help. I go and see her later this week. But now my syptoms have worsened so doctor is willing to give me anything I want to help me get through this period. I am waiting for his nurse to call right now with a list of prescriptions.

Marcia

D

DarrylP_Ajax

marcia said:
Thanks for all of the support ~ my doctor has referred me to a therapist that has experience with Crohn's patients so I am hoping that will help. I go and see her later this week. But now my syptoms have worsened so doctor is willing to give me anything I want to help me get through this period. I am waiting for his nurse to call right now with a list of prescriptions.

Marcia
Just be careful, as with all drugs, addiction is not a good thing, try not to rely on drugs to much as they generally only mask the problem and when you go to go off them things may hit you harder then before as your body goes into a anit-dpressant withdrawl...

I have psoriatic arthritis and was prescribed humira for the past week I have been depressed and irritable for no reasons at all crying and yelling at all people around me I don't want to stop humira cause it is clearing my issues with my illness what should I do ?