• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and fruit/veg juice

I can drink store bought juice usually with no problems. We bought a juicer thinking it would help me be able to get more fruits and veggies into my system. Well the first glass I drank gave me stomach pains and diarrhea within minutes. I think it was a case of too much too soon. I haven't got the courage to try again, but when I do, I will be watering it down or drinking a smaller amount.

I have made fresh juices in the past. Usually fairly small glasses though. I think that really big glasses might give diarrhea to someone without Crohn's. You also might want to limit the fresh "green" juices as well as beets since these tend to stimulate the colon.

Yes, I drink juice cleanse to stay fit and healthy. In starting it was quite difficult, but day by day I used to it. SInce Juice cleanses enriches with different kind of Superfoods and it has many health benefits such as helping to detoxify our overall body, purify the mind, improve the digestion system, helps to lose weight, gives a unique profile of nourishment and more.

can any of you drink veg juice (carrot juice, beet juice etc)? I'm relatively new to Crohn's and trying to work out what I can and can't have.
Carrot juice is one of the best things for Crohn's, it has a ton of vitamins, especially vitamin A. If you are not sure, then it's always best to just try a little and see how you tolerate it. But, I have read in several different places that carrots are specifically good for people with Crohn's disease, and juices or smoothies make it easier to absorb necessary nutrients.

I have also tried beet juice and just eating cooked beets, I personally tolerate them well and they are packed with nutrients, but again it's something you have to test on yourself.

D

Deleted member 431298

@anniehenson: while a diet rich in natural and unprocessed foods definitely can not be unhealthy, I'd be cautious to overstate the benefits of juice cleansing. There are more to beating IBD (and other diseases) than just maxing out on juice.

I don't mean to be negative, I just want to warn against thinking juicing can fix all and stopping conventional treatments. That can turn very bad - and did for an Aussie girl who got cancer in her arm, and refused to let the doctors remove it and discarded chemotherapy. Instead she started juicing and claimed the cancer disappeared. She was all over the social media, and got quite famous as the "Wellness Warrior" with a huge fan base. When her mother got cancer, she put her on the juice "treatment". But she died - within a year, if I remember correctly. Then the girl started to hide her arm on photos - and in the end she had to admit the cancer was growing. She agreed to have her arm taken and to start chemo, but too late. She died.

In the case of IBD disease there is more evidence for following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) or IBD-AID diets which boost the beneficial bacteria in the gut. - As a supplement to conventional therapy, I might add.

For my part, I stopped juicing because it gave me loose stools. Instead I do veggie/fruit smoothies to get the pulp (fibers and such). About 70 pct veggie / 30 fruit in order not to get too much fructose, which will also give me problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my part, I stopped juicing because it gave me loose stools. Instead I do veggie/fruit smoothies to get the pulp (fibers and such). About 70 pct veggie / 30 fruit in order not to get too much fructose, which will also gives me problems.
I totally agree, juicing by taking out the pulp can cause major blood sugar spikes if people aren't careful, I think eating the whole food has more benefits. Smoothies with veggies make it so much easier to get a variety of veggies and absorb all those wonderful nutrients. And I think keeping the pulp/fiber in there helps avoid the loose stools.

cmack

Staff member
I'm drinking roughly 70% veg to 30% fruit as well. I drink smoothies made in a fairly high end blender, it seems to work well for me. I had to work my way up to the higher fiber and after that I could tolerate more and more.