• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's / Ulcerative Colitis questions

Hi guys,
I have erythema nodosum and have been dealing with it solidly for 6 months. With no breaks! I always have at least 1 lump. I have had tons of tests and everything has come up negative. When I read that it could be caused by Crohn's or ulcerative colitis that made me think. I have always had diarrhea a few times a week, and have never really thought much about it. I thought that was normal. I don't have weight loss. But I'd say 4-5 days out of the week I have diarrhea 4-5 times per day. Sometimes, like once every other month or so I might have blood in it. I do have painful cramping with the diarrhea and have been woken by cramping and needed to go to the toilet who knows how many times. I will say that it seems to go in cycles and there might be a week or so thrown in there every few weeks where I am fine.
I have looked all over the internet and just can't seem to find the info I am looking for. Are your bouts of diarrhea interrupted by days of normalcy? Or maybe even not going at all? I have been tested for Celiac disease and that was negative. Anyhow, thanks for any answers. I am confused. I am scheduled to have a biopsy in June and I wonder if we should then go the route of investigating crohn's or uc.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi tabarho - I used to get erethema nodosum also - it was tied into flaring with my crohns'.....

Are you on any medications? When I would flare with the EN, I would get put on prednisone which took care of it. I haven't had amny for quite a few years now - but I have also been in remission since going on remicade in 2005.....

I have taken 1 round of prednisone and 1 round of methylprednisolone. Both times the lumps went away while taking it but then returned after stopping.

I take Prozac. Nothing else.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes people with crohns and colitis go through phases of normalcy and even constipation.

I went to the hospital right away after I saw blood in my stool. I was diagnosed with crohns almost 2 months after.

I hope you get your answers soon but so far your symptoms sound like mind did back when I was having a flare.