• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cutting Seton Surgery Info

Hi everyone,
I am not a new member.
I have been struggling with a transphicteric fistula since 2017.
I've had three surgeries (a draining seton and two FiLac surgeries) now getting ready for a cutting seton surgery (end of April / May) as the good news is that my fistula has become more superficial.
I am looking for feedback / experiences regarding cutting seton, sucessess / failures, anything really!!! Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.:medal1:
All the best.

cmack

Staff member
Mine was a total success, it took a while but it was a great option. It does get a little irritated if you overdo things, not too much worse than the regular seton though. I would be sure to get some lidocaine jelly to numb it occasionally, the stronger the better. I would recommend a cutting seton to anyone. Good luck and keep in touch.

:):lol:I knew yours was successful! I actually meant mine (which will take place in about a month).
Thanks again, your confidence in the cutting seton methodology and results is reassuring.
I'll keep you posted.

Hi Cmack,
I had a fistulotomy and cutting seton. Now one week post cutting seton falling off however there is drainage of yellow discharge. Did you have this at all once the seton fell off?

cmack

Staff member
Yes, there was some consistent drainage that was yellow or pinkish. Does the doctor know it fell out? Was it in a loop still and cut it's way out, or did the knot fail? I used a 2'' or 4'' gauze pad folded over to place over the area and they worked well, plus I could carry extras. This was normal and decreased over time (several months, but it may be less or more depending on the depth of the wound). If it stops draining too quickly or feels like pressure is building, or if you get signs of infection or fever let the doctor know right away. Good luck with everything, hopefully you heal quickly and fully.

Many thanks Cmack.
Yes the CRS is aware, he was expecting it. He did a fistulotomy and left a very-very small part for the cutting seton. He told me it was a matter of weeks or days for it to fall off (it actually took one week).
It is a consolation that you had drainage post the seton falling off, I understand it goes with the size of the wound (although I still find it irrational that a wound has to drain yellow discharge)....

cmack

Staff member
Yellow and clear(ish) discharge is fairly normal, if it's yellow and pus like, or it smells foul, there is an issue that needs attention. It's amazing how long that area takes to fully stop draining, due to the germs in the area it always takes a little bit longer. It feels like forever right now, but it's not going to be. Feel free to ask anything, I always like to help people.

Thanks again cmack for answering. Sorry for TMI:
My drainage post seton falling is yellowish and stains the gauze ....did you get that?

cmack

Staff member
Yes it showed up on the gauze all the time, It was yellowish, but not bright yellow like mustard. It's called exudate, a fluid produced as part of the normal wound-healing process, and is essentially blood from which the platelets and red cells have been filtered out.

What can I say Cmack, just grateful for your insightful responses. Thank you so much for taking the time and replying to every question. What a difference that makes to so many broken hearted people. Also, let me just state the obvious: you really know about this stuff man!
I bet a lot of people are facing the same situation I am dealing with and are asking themeselves the same (detailed:)) questions too. Hope we can collectively help them as well.
This is such a tough-tough ailment; it can really break you at times; But as Francis Bacon said "Knowledge is power" - so we ought to talk about how to handle this. When you know what to expect you are better equipped to deal with it.

Hi everyone, just an update that it seems I have now healed.
Went to the CRS who said all seems good.
The cutting seton did it.
This site is a blessing. Thanks to everyone and especially CMACK who really took the time and answered every strange question I could think of!!!
I will try and follow his steps and help some people here if I'm able.
All the best! Keep fighting and you will beat those fistulas!!:drink::drink:
:drink::drink:

Last edited:
Hey @cmack
Jus wanted to know is the seton procedure painful? And does it leave a cut that needs to b bandaged like in fistulotomy??
Mine is due and am quiet anxious about everything??
Pls reply soon