• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Delaying Remicade infusions during pregnancy?

Hi!

I just found out I'm pregnant with #2, but this is my first Remicade baby. Hopefully it sticks! My GI had told me that I would stop the Remicade around 28-30weeks if I was getting pregnant and doing well. Right now I'm in remission and doing great. So I will be getting remicade when I'm about 10w, then 18, then 26w. If I have one extra, it would bring me to 34w, which I find it a bit late, because at that point the drug crosses the placenta. My first child has/had a HORRIBLE time with infections since starting daycare, and I seriously don't want to go through that again or make it worse if this child has remicade in their system.

My question is, should I somehow delay the next couple of infusion by a week or 1.5w so that it brings me closer to the 30w mark? I haven't discussed with my GI yet as I'm barely pregnant (5w4d). I will in a few weeks. I'm just wondering what is everyone's experience.

Thanks!

my little penguin

Staff member
Congrats
I think your Gi might know better if your likely to flare if you held your infusion
However they might be able to work it out so its a few days past for each one so your closer to 30 weeks
Or move it to every 6 weeks etc to better fit the new schedule

That said unfortunately 90% of kiddos in daycare have a lot of issues with illness their first year or so there .
The kids that aren't in daycare have issues with illness in kindergarten.
Just how it is

My son has crohns not me and he was the healthy one in kindergarten but preschool was horrible
My oldest was always sick .

Good luck