• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do a surgery or not? please help

Hi, I’m looking for some help to make a decision about a surgery.
I’m 22. I have Crohn’s disease for almost 2,5 years. I sometimes had abdominal pain and a little bit looser stool (but once a day). I had a colonoscopy and doctors gave me mesalazine, after one year they added azathioprine and now adalimumab. But in MRI I had in March doctors found some narrowing in terminal ileum and in ileocecal valve. For 3 weeks I sometimes feel some bigger mass in the right abdomen, but in 1 day that feeling goes away. One week ago I had an ultrasonography - doctor found narrowing and a little bit wider intestine before the narrowing. My doctor suggest me to do a resection about 20 cm of ileum and a valve. Do you think it’s a good idea? Now I feel very good, no pain or discomfort in abdomen. I’m afraid that after a surgery I’ll have diarrhea because of a resection and of more frequent intestinal infection. I’m studing and it’s important to me to be able to continue my studies :( Please, help me :(
Sorry for my bad English :)

Hi gryzelda,
Your doctor suggest a surgery as the widening before the narrowing means the food stay a bit stuck there, and there may be a risk of intestinal obstruction.

However instead of resection modern surgery favour stricturoplasty as a conservative approach to avoid losing the length of your ileum. You could maybe ask if strictureplasty is possoblenin your case or seek for a second opinion.

Also switching from humira to another biologics may also help

Thank you for your answer :)
I've talked to a surgeon recently and said about stricturoplasty. But he said that this method is used when a patient has a short part of intestine left after previous surgery, because that part of intestine narrows in a few years again :( I was sad he said this beacuse I hoped I could avoid resection. Do you think I should insist on stricturoplasty instead of resection?

In my case strictureplasty was the first approach but I had many strictures (like 5 or 7 I dont remember) so maybe this was too long to cut.
You are also young so maybe it could worth a try asking a second opinion to another surgeon with good experience in strictureplasty.

Usually cutting "only" 20 cm shouldnt lead to small bowel syndrome (more diarrhea etc...) , but cutting the valve could make you go more often to toilets, but ask your doctor about that as i'm not 100% sure.

I hope someone else can share experiences about strictureplasy or resection of the valve.

Hi again, thank You all for answers :)
I'm after an appointment with my gastroenterologist. He said that according to him the surgery isn't necessary now because it's a high risk that the disease will soon come back in the anastomosis after surgery and another ones will be needed and I'll loose more and more intestine.
Now I feel very good, no abdominal pain, discomfort, normal stools etc. I'm afraid that I'll choose wrong, especially that doctors say different things :(

Hi. I am 57 years old. I had a resection losing my ileocecal valve, 20 cm of ileum, and 10 cm of colon. That was 16 years ago. I did have recurrence at the site after my first colonoscopy.
Over the years, however, I usually had no symptoms of Crohn's. I did continue to medicate with various low risk medications. Most recently my doctor added Humira.
I did not have diarrhea due to the surgery. I started to get diarrhea recently but the Humira took care of that.
I am very happy that I did the surgery. I was in terrible pain and that has never returned, thank God.