• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do people without IBD ever develop perianal fistula?

Hello people,

I know no one in my personal life who ever got a perianal disease like abscess or fistula. Not family members (who would trust me with such things!) or close friends, guys in a relationship. Basically, I never heard of it until I got one myself and the first thing my GP said when she saw the small hole was "I think you have a bowel disease."

When I went to the GP with the abscess, now almost a year ago, the GP was kinda panicking when she saw it. She was really acting like it was a true emergency. I was kinda surprised about that.

Are fistulas rare in general, and especially in the non-IBD population? Just curious!

No. Surgery, setons, steroids, biologicals and sometimes stoma. My friend recently had a stoma as she was fed up with treatments and reactions and she’s doing really wel.

Lynda Lynda

Thank you for sharing that website.

I had an anal fistulectomy in 1992. ( cutting open the whole length of the fistula.)

Fistula story ...
I had come home from a vacation and had been in pain in the anal area for 2 days.
Once I returned home I took a look with a mirror. I saw what looked like a blister.
I actually popped it open and smelly liquid came out.
I actually had the fistula for a year before I went to the doctor ( how stupid of me. )
My fistula was draining for a whole year and I wore panty-shields every day.

cmack

Staff member
Thank you for sharing that website.

I had an anal fistulectomy in 1992. ( cutting open the whole length of the fistula.)

Fistula story ...
I had come home from a vacation and had been in pain in the anal area for 2 days.
Once I returned home I took a look with a mirror. I saw what looked like a blister.
I actually popped it open and smelly liquid came out.
I actually had the fistula for a year before I went to the doctor ( how stupid of me. )
My fistula was draining for a whole year and I wore panty-shields every day.

I had never heard of them either until I was diagnosed with one, and then I looked it up, so don't feel bad. Now I sure know enough about them though, not fun.

Hey Ebru, I'm struggling with fistulas and abscesses since 2010 - although, it has been better than before but they never healed and a new flare-up is dreadful and very painful. I hope you're doing better now. I noticed that your name is Turkish, this is random but I've been living in Istanbul for a couple of years now, not sure if you live in Turkey or not but if you do, would you recommend certain gastros? I havent seen a doctor there for my Crohn's, I wait until I visit home to see my doctor.