• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Doctor suggests Entyvio with 6mp

Hi all,
Looking for anyone with experience getting Entyvio infusion and 6mp as treatment for Crohn’s. My disease is mostly in the ileocecal valve area. I have a significant stricture there and am having a bad flare. I’ve taken Humira in the past but developed an allergy to it in just 3 months. At that time, my GI suggested Remicade and Imuran but I chickened out after reading the side effects of the Remicade. I’d already taken Imuran in the past and it made me feel sick and exhausted constantly. I’m at a crossroad and don’t know what to do. Please share with me your experiences, good or bad.

my little penguin

Staff member
Imuran is a sister drug to 6-mp so they should be the same just different amounts

Ds take Stelara and methotrexate
Prior to that humira /methotrexate
So if 6-mp makes you sick you might want to see if methotrexate added is an option ???

Are you already on entivyio?
I assume the 6-mp would be to try to prevent antibodies and a reaction .

Good luck

Imuran is a sister drug to 6-mp so they should be the same just different amounts

Ds take Stelara and methotrexate
Prior to that humira /methotrexate
So if 6-mp makes you sick you might want to see if methotrexate added is an option ???

Are you already on entivyio?
I assume the 6-mp would be to try to prevent antibodies and a reaction .

Good luck
Thanks for replying so quickly. I’m actually only on Entocort EC right now. I’ve done Humira by itself back in 2017 and developed an allergy to it in 3 months. Several years ago I was on Imuran only for many years. It had little effect on my Crohn’s but the side effects were awful so I quit taking it. My current GI is suggesting Entyvio with 6mp to prevent my body from rejecting the Entyvio. I’m terrified of taking these things now because of the side effects I’ve had in the past. I was hoping to see some people taking this combo say they had good symptom control with little side effects. (I know. Wishful thinking. 😔) But I just don’t wanna take meds that cause more side effects than my disease itself, if that makes sense.

my little penguin

Staff member
So the thing with side effects is they are potential side effects
No guarantee
Ds reacted to remicade x2(second time pre treat of iv steroids )
But was fine on humira for over 5 years until it stopped working
6-mp raised his liver enzymes but everything was normal once it was stopped
He gets sick on methotrexate injections
But is perfectly fine on oral tablets
He has had anaphylaxis to other drugs before

Even with all that he is perfectly fine on Stelara plus methotrexate no issues
And clean scopes

My point is everyone can react differently to meds
Even allergic reaction to one med but be fine with others

You try and go from there
If you get side effects then you move on to the next

Keeping Ds intestine healthy is our top Goal with minimal to no side effects
He was dx at age 7
That means 83 years of disease activity
He is now 15 so far so good

Be aware Entyvio takes 6-12 months to be effective
And you will need a bridge therapy until it is effective
Steroids including Entocort can induce adrenal insufficiency (Ds hAd this from too many steroids over the years due to arthritis)
He now avoids steroids as much as possible and his adrenal glands are working again