• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does a negative colonoscopy rule out Crohn's Disease

L

leonghoward

Does a clear colonoscopy mean there is no Crohn's Disease? Or can a colonoscopy not see a possible affected area?

It all depends... because the doctor cannot see the upper parts of your intestines without and endoscopic testy thing that goes down through the throat (sorry for the lack of medical names :)) but a clear colonoscopy could mean no ulcers or that your ulcers are in a different place, It all really depends.

it finds lesions and patches of inflamed intestine.. i did both an endoscopy and colonscopy at the same time and the doc found 2 lesions, as well as a very tight illeum ... so it was definetely crohns

you have to get an endoscopy as well if you didn't, or the pill capsule thing i guess

S

Skinsfan1229

Just because you dont SHOW crohns, doesnt mean you dont have it, you'll have it for life.

I've had a few come back with no signs.

S

Skinsfan1229

endoscopy wouldnt be necessary if you dont have acid reflux BADLY , the pill capsule is only neccessary if you know you have small bowel involvement.

V

Valentina

Skinsfan1229 said:
Just because you dont SHOW crohns, doesnt mean you dont have it, you'll have it for life.
:thumright:
my last one came back clear, but I still have crohns, just means that my usually affected area is in remission right now. hope it means the same for you, good luck.