• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Methotrexate Cause Edema/Water Retention?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've been noticing that I've been retaining water. For instance I had my legs crossed for a bit and after a long shower and getting dressed I noticed that I still had an indentation and redness on my leg as if I had just uncrossed them. Also yesterday my kitty was sleeping and resting his paw on my foot, I got up walked around a bit (basically time had passed) then I look down at my foot and see a red paw print as if the kitties paw had just been there and as if he were pressing hard (which he wasn't).

I started to look it up and it seems that other people may have experienced edema while on Methotrexate as well. This was never mentioned as a possible side effect to me. How bad does it get? High doses of Prednisone bad? I'm calling my Rheumatologist tomorrow for sure (he's the one who prescribed it).

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I called my Rheumatologist's office and they are faxing over blood work to the lab and want me to do it today (next shot would be tomorrow and they should have the results before then). I've also been having a lot of pain in my lower back and hips making it hurt to walk, stand and even sit. Will hopefully get some answers soon. :)

PsychoJane

Aye aye aye!
I assume they will test your albumin level? Sometimes with MTX the liver fucntion test (LFT) will show up as normal but there might still be an issue with it. A low level of albumin (and edema as a symptom) can traduce an early liver disorder so it is a great thing they are checking that early.

Hopefully you will be able to elucidate that quickly!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Got a call back from my Rheumatologist's office. They said my liver enzymes were slightly elevated and to skip my shot this week and then go down to .3ml next week. He doesn't think my symptoms are related to the Methotrexate but if they go away after not taking my shot and lowering the dose then it likely was the Methotrexate. Also made an appointment with him on the 31st this month to discuss it.

nogutsnoglory

I don't know the answer to this but in googling it appears you aren't the only one to complain about the possible connection. It's frustrating since there are so many variables but I hope you can get to the bottom of this and feel better soon.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ya I saw that too when I googled it. Its always frustrating when you see many people mention a possible side effect yet it isn't listed anywhere and my doctor didn't feel the medication was the cause either. The nurse I had spoke to over the phone said that she never heard of it as a side effect to Methotrexate but would, "look it up." Chances are she wont find a direct connection either.

If its not a side effect from the medication then it may very well be an issue with the liver (which Methotrexate can possibly damage) as water retention is listed as a symptom of liver damage (usually mentions abdominal water retention but other sites simply say, "water retention").

nogutsnoglory

Do you know if there is a brand version of Methotrexate? If you call the manufacturer they might be able to tell you whether that's a reported side effect.

I think drug companies are only required to list reported side effects if a certain percentage reported it. What if .05% of people complained about water retention and its extremely rare but it is possible and they haven't listed it. I know someone who is losing hair on Cimzia who did not see that listed but called the company and found out that it is a rare side effect.

If there isn't a brand manufacturer to call than maybe the FDA could advise or you can certainly report the possible adverse reaction.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestion. I might do that in the near future or if someone else wants to they can. I had to stop taking it anyway a while back due to similar side effects I got from Remicade oddly enough.