• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Emigrating with Crohns Disease

I am hoping to move to Toronto, Canada this year and I need some emotional support.

I am thinking of cutting down to taking Humira once a month from twice a month so I can move over on a youth visa, where I will not have health coverage but will have enough injections to last me a year (12 injections) if I inject once a month rather than twice a month. Is this recommended or will the biologic not work?

Usually, I would never consider this, but right now my Crohns is standing between me and living and working in Toronto, Canada for 2 years (my dream for around 5 years now). I'm feeling a little defeated (financially and mentally) at the prospect that I will have to fly back home to the UK every 5/6 months to retrieve more injections.

Does anyone else only administrate once a month? And if so, do you find it effective?

Any advice and emotional support is welcome.

I think you would need to seek advice from the NHS about this. Assuming that your Humira is supplied at a substantially discounted cost, the NHS might be happy about this. Nor do I expect that they would be prepared to give you advance supply to take to Canada.For all they know you might sell it under the counter! I jest!

Still , there is nothing to prevent you making enquiries with you treating medico, but don't hold your breath about the outcome. The other problem is that Humira, once it reaches room temperature must be used within 14 days. Somehow, I don't think that Customs/ Postal personnel would be too pleased to see either preloaded syringes popping up on their scanning apparatus.

I wish you the best of luck.
Merv

Hi Ed667,
I did have a look at the possibility of the UK having a reciprocal health care agreement with Canada, but it seems, unlike Australia (with certain conditions) it does not.

Sorry if my last post appeared negative, but I do empathize with your situation Although long retired, being on Stelara I would be in exactly the same situation.

Do a little Googling to determine the cost of medical insurance in Canada. I believe that it can be expensive.

The other point that springs to mind is whether you could forgo Humira and opt for a less effective, but cheaper alternative? Only you can answer that question, my friend. As an afterthought, are you intending to continue your studies in Toronto? I think that some of the universities do offer health insurance at a more competitive rate.
Cheers,
Merv