• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Epi pen

I received a call today. I had to purchase an epi pen before my first treatment tomorrow. Has this happened with anyone else?

my little penguin

Staff member
Have they given you instructions on how to use an epi pen and when to administer it

Are you getting your infusion at a hospital clinic with doctors present ?
Typically if they are in a hospital setting they have vials of epinephrine on hand and don't need an epi pen
Epi pen is for home care

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddo had two infusions of Entyvio (we had to stop because of drug-induced Lupus). We were not required to get Epi pens. Epinephrine is what is in Epi pens - it's used to stop an allergic reaction.

Usually hospitals and infusion centers have it on hand - I haven't heard of people having to get their own Epi pens before infusions. We were actually told that it's quite rare to react to Entyvio - it's not like Remicade, where allergic rxns are relatively common.