• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally adapting to the evil Pred i think

D

DarrylP_Ajax

Have a hockey tourney this weekend and just got back from my first game, my body seems to have finally adjusted to the Pred as i was actually able to play the full game at about 80% my usual capacity (we won 7-2, got 4 assists but got robbed of two goals on awesome shots :thumbdown: )....i was worried because i played a game two days after i started Pred @ 80mg/day and literaly thought i was going to die my heart was beating so hard but tonight most of that seems to have gone away, i guess my body is starting to plateau off. The test will be tomorrow though, i have three games in a 12 hour span so who knows if i will make it too game three....anyways, the Pred is giving me decent joint pains so i am going to lay down and get some rest.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I definately think it can take a bit of time to have the prednisone and your body work together better. Just do not push yourself too much, as you do not want to do anything that will make things worst.

K

Kate

if you do start to feel worse do stop cause you dont want to ware yourself out to much

D

DarrylP_Ajax

Kate said:
if you do start to feel worse do stop cause you dont want to ware yourself out to much
Just had two more games today in about a 7 hour span, no probs arised....although i did sweat out about 5 lbs of water each game (202lbs pregame, 197lbs post game) just drank lots of water to make up for it and ate a lot of tuna for protein...was pretty wiped after the second game though, but it just feels like exhaustion and not really to do with the CD. The loss of water weight is definitly higher, but i attribute that to the fact Pred makes me sweat alot easier...i have another game on both Sunday and MOnday, so hopefully i hold through till then, lol.....i would love to just relax, but what can i say, hockey is my life, always has been, always will be...well sleep time...

Glad to hear the pred is working well with you. The joint ain can make you feel 90 somedays..lol

molly

D

DarrylP_Ajax

ladyB said:
Glad to hear the pred is working well with you. The joint ain can make you feel 90 somedays..lol

molly
Ya, definitly true, but my doc said that if i try to stay as active as i was before being dx and had my first flare that i should be able to stave off any kind of bone/muslce loss since he originally said before i started pred that he thinks i will respond extremely well to the Pred since my body did such a good job handling the CD when it was getting bad.....i cant wait, end of this week i have my first followup, come on tapering! lol

M

Mickeyg

Glad to hear the pred is working. I always feel like wonder woman on that drug until the side effects kick in. Take it easy though, your body is still healing and the pred could be winding you up.

D

DarrylP_Ajax

Mickeyg said:
Glad to hear the pred is working. I always feel like wonder woman on that drug until the side effects kick in. Take it easy though, your body is still healing and the pred could be winding you up.
Ya, so far no side effects for me, with the extremely clean diet, and excercise i have had no weight gain/loss although i do want to gain a little bit, no water retention, nothing at all really....only thing was a little joint pain and stiffness but that seems to have gone away....

D

DarrylP_Ajax

So the pred update is in, and i have a new side effect i think...does anyone know if it causes like "roid rage"....i was at hockey tonight and i got hacked at a couple times by another player, even have a couple nice bruises on the back of my calf for proof, anyways i just lost all control, cant remember the last time i did, and ya, well, about 30 seconds later he picked up the puck, had his head down admiring his stickwork and i just got like adrenalin rage and just stopped on a dime and drove my shoulder into his head, flattening him out on the rink, and of course, getting ejected from the game. Dunno what came over me but i just got pissed off all of sudden, like big time....anyone else ever experience that?

D

DarrylP_Ajax

who else loves strawberry flavoured Barium Sulfate??? Upper G.I. with Follow Through done and the technologist said that my Crohn's inflammation must have gone down big time because he wasnt able to see any obvious abnormalities when he performed the Upper G.I. As far as his "opinion" goes my small intestine/ileum is in great shape...i am not going to take that as i am 100%, but i am hoping that my GI specialst sees the same, so i can reduce the pred. I missed a dose of my Pred yesterday, since i had to fast for the UGI procedure...didnt get home until like 1pm, and by then it just slipped my mind. I dont know if missing a dose would make a huge difference but all i kow is when i woke up this morning i felt like absolute crap...basically felt like i hadnt slept in days, was all lathargic and mentally not there. Took my pills at 6am this morning though, so i am hoping they kick in soon before i get into the full swing of things at work.

D

DarrylP_Ajax

Muhhahaah

I must say, having CD and being on Pred has actually given me a huge amount of drive lately when it comes to my game. Ever since i started on Pred, playing hockey has become a little harder due to the screwed up adrenal glands, and the side effects of the Pred, but this has made me just push myself harder then ever before. This is just in hindsight of last night when i had quite possibly one of my best games of all time. I felt like i was on fire and unstoppable. Mind you i was pushing myself to the extent of full body exhaustion ( was dead after the game to the point where when i got home i collapsed into bed and was lights out in seconds) but ya, my team won 9-1, and i scored a whopping 4 goals and 3 assists, a 7-point game, which is quite possibly the highest scoring game i have ever had. The funny thing is, in the last five-six games i have been increasingly getting better, despite being on Pred now. I think half of it is mental in that i can push myself so much harder now that i have the drive to overcome my physical issues. Cant wait to check out the leader board, with my recent acquisition of points i think i am now 4th in the league in scoring, highest i have ever been in any season, anyways i am done my little rant/update, till next time....

D

Donna

Finally, a positive for Crohn's and Prednisone!!! Way to go!! One of the reasons you may be doing so well is that pred is a steroid... and we have all heard what that means with athletes!! So since you have to be on it anyway, you might as well enjoy the fringe benefits!!

My hubby says that I get really strong when I am on pred. I never noticed it before, but once he and I were playing with the kids on the floor and we started to wrestle. I whooped his butt, and normally I am the one crying mercy when we play like that!!

As far as the rage....I get nasty mood swings alot when on pred. In your case you were prompted by getting hit...but just question yourself before you react: Is it really pissing you off, or could it be the meds? How would you be if you weren't on the meds?? Pred is great for altering your mood...just be careful!!

Sounds like all is well with you. Congratulations!!
Keep up the good game!!
Donna

Last edited:
D

DarrylP_Ajax

Donna said:
Finally, a positive for Crohn's and Prednisone!!! Way to go!! One of the reasons you may be doing so well is that pred is a steroid... and we have all heard what that means with athletes!! So since you have to be on it anyway, you might as well enjoy the fringe benefits!!

My hubby says that I get really strong when I am on pred. I never noticed it before, but once he and I were playing with the kids on the floor and we started to wrestle. I whooped his butt, and normally I am the one crying mercy when we play like that!!

As far as the rage....I get nasty mood swings alot when on pred. In your case you were prompted by getting hit...but just question yourself before you react: Is it really pissing you off, or could it be the meds? How would you be if you weren't on the meds?? Pred is great for altering your mood...just be careful!!

Sounds like all is well with you. Congratulations!!
Keep up the good game!!
Donna
I am going to have to disagree with you on most of the above. Prednisone is a catabolic steroid, the steroids athletes take is anabolic steroids, basically the opposite, anabolic steroids promote protein synthesis/muscle fibre growth, on the other hand Prednisone is catabolic, meaning it actually breaks down muscle/protein, hence why one side effect of it is muscle wasting. By far Prednisone has not improved myself as a athlete whatsover. I lost 35lbs of solid muscle with CD and now i havent gained a single ounce of weight back. In January my maximum bench press was 320lbs, i havent done bench in a while, but i am goign to assume i wouldnt be able to do half of that. I have lost huge amounts of size, while this is good for cardio (less muscle = less oxygen needed = more stamina) its horrible for strenght, i dont play nearly as physical role as i used to because i have lost so much strength and size. But ya, i wish Pred had performance enhancing propertys but it definitly doesnt, all it does is speed up the aging process, which is never a good thing for someone my age. Nonetheless , i believe most of my gains are due to mental improvement, not physical. When your mind is dedicated to something it is easier to push your body to extremes you never thought possible, and i am definitly doing that lately.

D

Donna

Ok....my oops. I was under the impression from my GI that it was all the same...see you learn something new every day!!

Irregardless, you are doing a great job...and should continue to do so, even after you are no longer on the pred!!!

Thanks!
Donna

V

Valentina

glad its working so well for you.
I noticed when I was on it, I did feel stronger, or maybe I was just so angry I was able to move furniture. lol
and my muscles did get a lot bigger in my legs.. Im not sure why if its not the right kind of steroid, but they did for me. It could be because they gave me so much energy when I was first on them, I just went to the gym more. who knows.
anyhoo, hope your doing well, and hope you can taper off easily.. that was the hard part for me. good luck

D

DarrylP_Ajax

Valentina said:
glad its working so well for you.
I noticed when I was on it, I did feel stronger, or maybe I was just so angry I was able to move furniture. lol
and my muscles did get a lot bigger in my legs.. Im not sure why if its not the right kind of steroid, but they did for me. It could be because they gave me so much energy when I was first on them, I just went to the gym more. who knows.
anyhoo, hope your doing well, and hope you can taper off easily.. that was the hard part for me. good luck

Oh ya, forgot to mention (its 3:50pm here right now) i have an appointment with my G.I. at 5pm, so i MAY be tapering again, been 11 days snice my last taper but i am still feeling good, so he may drop me more, wish me taper-luck, lol

V

Valentina

well, good luck at your appointment Darryl! fingers are crossed he will let you taper even more.

B

boneyboy

DarrylP_Ajax said:
Starting next monday i drop down to 20mg/day
Glad to hear you're able to taper so soon and so drastically. Careful when you get to the lower amounts though, a 20 mg change at that stage is a lot different percentage wise from a 20 mg change when you're at 80.

If this turns into a long term drug for you, I'd find a good orthopaedist and talk to them about their thoughts regarding how pred weakens the connective tissues of the body's joints. I used to be really active when younger (soccer, baseball, rugby) and ended up tearing the shit outta my knees and ankles - tendons and ligaments. Thankfully they were partial tears, so no surgery was needed, but I have to constantly be aware of how the joints are feeling before I go run into a pickup game.

Not tryin to be a downer, just an FYI here.

D

DarrylP_Ajax

boneyboy said:
Glad to hear you're able to taper so soon and so drastically. Careful when you get to the lower amounts though, a 20 mg change at that stage is a lot different percentage wise from a 20 mg change when you're at 80.

If this turns into a long term drug for you, I'd find a good orthopaedist and talk to them about their thoughts regarding how pred weakens the connective tissues of the body's joints. I used to be really active when younger (soccer, baseball, rugby) and ended up tearing the shit outta my knees and ankles - tendons and ligaments. Thankfully they were partial tears, so no surgery was needed, but I have to constantly be aware of how the joints are feeling before I go run into a pickup game.

Not tryin to be a downer, just an FYI here.
Ya, i hope its not logn term, we will have to see, tomorrow is Day 40 on pred for me, started off at 80mg/day, and so far since i have been on Pred i would say i ahve only had slight CD symptoms about 4 of those 40 days. The last week or so have been the best so far, so hopefully that doesnt change with another drop....have also added alot back to my diet with no problems, have myself up to about 3000 calories a day and my appetite is way back up where it was before i got the starting of my CD, which i am happy about, still no weight gain though, but ya, i will have to see....oh, and you guys will love this, my recent Upper GI with follow through i got done two weeks ago, they have LOST MY X-RAYS!!!They never made it to my GI docs office and they phoned the hospital and clinic and they dont have them either...got another blood test done, and for the 6th week in a row they came back perfect, everything that normally suffers with Pred use is still in normal ranges, so thats at least good.....still cant believe my x-rays got lost....hopefully they have backups somewhere