• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Abscess, need words of advice

HELP!!! I was admitted to the hospital yesterday and just found out that I have an abscess. My pain is controlled and I am currently on IV Cipro, IV Clindamycin, IV Medrol and IV Dilaudid (for pain). I was diagnosed with Crohn's a year ago and have been maintained on Entocort daily since then. My doc says the abscess is only about 1 inch by 1 inch and he doesn't think I will need surgery or even drainage. He is going to keep me in the hospital for at least a week for IV antibiotics, then a repeat CT scan. Can anyone offer any words of advice?? What can I expect? Words of wisdom??
Thanks, Stacy:depressed:

I've gotten several abscesses and they aren't fun. I'm sorry you've had to experience one. Ask your doctor if you can do some sitz baths. They help get the blood flow to where the abscess is and they will halep keep the area clean. Don't take soaks as there is a lot of bacteria in tubs which could lead to more abscesses in the future as oportunistic bacteria come in and invade. Follow your docs orders and I hope you get better. I hope that helped a little. Let me know if you need any more help.