• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula and c section

I am five weeks pregnant. I had a massive flare a year and a half ago which landed me with a terrible fistula. I have had seton drains since then. My crohns has been pretty under control but the fistula has not closed. My doctor is very set on a c-section. I totally see why, but I'm also wondering if I have any hope at a vaginal delivery. I successfully gave birth vaginally before but of course that was before the fistula. I'm kind of terrified of a c section. Also terrified that it will make the crohns worse with all the moving around of organs in there. Any thoughts?

Hello, first of all congratulations on the pregnancy.
I don't have any experience with vaginal delivery but had my daughter 12 weeks ago by c section and I have crohns. I recovered really quickly from the surgery which I was really surprised at and I so far haven't noticed that it has any affect on my disease. Although I have been mildly flaring but I think that was down to not being on any medication during the pregnancy and managed to get away without anything for about 8 weeks after.
Each option has its risks I think it's just weighing up what is the lowest risk for you I would speak to your GI about it more and get their view on both. I spoke to my GI and midwife a lot before setting c section as the safest option for me.
Hope morning sickness isn't rearing its ugly head and that you have a happy healthy pregnancy