• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistulas Support Group

I was successfully treated with proton therapy for prostate cancer. Unfortunately six months afterwards I developed and inflamed colon with an ulcer too. The consultant I saw did nothing except send me for a colonoscopy first then after 3 months a sigmoidoscopy I had another 2 sigmoidoscopies. After one year I had severe abdo pain and collapsed. It turned out I had two abscesses, probably caused by a fistula as a result of one ot the sigmoidoscopy being poorly done. I had major surgery to remove the abscesses and a reversible colostomy to help heal the rectal ulcer. Four months on I’m improving but I wonder if anyone has had the same xperience with hospital caused fistula.
Also, will a healed fistula leave sufficient scarring to show up on a MRI scan?
I would appreciate any info on this topic,
Bezz

I have a history of fistulas but I am not sure of the answer to your question. I am sure someone will be along who csn answer your question.

cmack

Staff member
On one of my MRI's, I could see a lot of 3D detail of damaged areas. I could really see my fistula tracts, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to see any significant abnormality such as significant scar tissue growth. From what I remember it was very highly detailed imaging. I hope that is of some use to you.

Lynda Lynda

I didn't know this. Interesting. So ANY surgerical scars could be seen on an MRI ? I haven't had an MRI of my abdomen before, as far as I can remember. Just CT Scans.

The doctor who performed my anal fistulectomy in 1992 .....I cannot explain how horrified I was when I looked at that area of my body in a hand mirror right after I got home. He cut it open and sewed it back up ? Now if I am in the hospital for a rectal abscess the doctors always say there is a lot of scarring down there.

🌻