• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare like symptoms caused by Pentasa

Hello Everybody!

Taken from the Pentasa web site:

"Mesalamine has been associated with an acute intolerance syndrome (3% of patients in clinical trials with mesalamine or sulfasalazine) that may be difficult to distinguish from a flare of inflammatory bowel disease. Symptoms include cramping, acute abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea, sometimes fever, headache, and rash. If acute intolerance syndrome is suspected, prompt withdrawal is required."

Has anybody here experienced this? I am a concerned parent who believes that my daughter may be intolerant to the Pentasa she has been taking for months now.

How long after stopping Pentasa did your symptoms subside?

Gwendolyn missed a dose of Pentasa and seems to be doing so much better without it. She started flaring up after we tried to wean her off Prednisone...but only 10mg into the decrease her symptoms got worse. Before starting the Pentasa, the Prednisone was working extremely well for her, but it seemed to get worse as they have added Pentasa and also again after they upped her dosage of the Pentasa. I believe the Pred has been keeping the Pentasa in check for most of her time on it so when we began to wean her off the Pred the reactions to the Pentasa got worse.

With just having missed one dose of the Pentasa she has seen an improvement in the bloating, gas, and cramps. The consistency of her BMs have thickened, become less frequent, and she has not seen any blood!

Would she be seeing signs of improvement soo fast after not having just one dose?