• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated with"normal" test results

Sorry for posting all the time but this is getting to be insanely frustrating.

I can't get in to see a different GI until July so I'm looking around at different doctors to see I can get in sooner to have another scope...

Basically it's like all of my tests are coming back normal so there must not be anything wrong or it's "just IBS".

I had a colonoscopy in March of 2016, that was visually normal but the pathology showed active ileitis. I had a normal CTE, and all normal blood work and stool tests. Fast forward to now when I have been having bloody diarrhea for months, increased pain, and weight loss...my CRP is barely elevated, and everything else has come back normal. I realize that sometimes this happens and the gold standard in diagnosing Crohn's are scopes...but the NP I saw cancelled my appointment without any explanation and I can't get through to her freaking office to talk to a real person and she won't return my voicemails.

In 2016 my CRP was .8 mg/dL and now it's 1.8.

Has anyone else gone through this? Seemingly normal test results but diagnosed? Like I've said before, I don't want Crohn's, nobody does...but I want an answer and I want someone to take me seriously when I say I'm suffering and not just say everything is normal.

Feel free to come anytime. Have you had a MRI?
I had one years ago to look for endometriosis (which isn’t even a diagnostic tool) before all of these other symptoms started happening.

Thanks! I think I need to find a different doctor because I can’t wait until July and I keep being stuck with doctors I’m not choosing.

Scipio

Has anyone else gone through this? Seemingly normal test results but diagnosed? Like I've said before, I don't want Crohn's, nobody does...but I want an answer and I want someone to take me seriously when I say I'm suffering and not just say everything is normal.
Yes, it's common. CRP is completely normal in about 20-25% of patients with active Crohn's. That's the big weakness of blood tests for IBD. They can be very informative when they work well for the patient, but they don't always work for all patients. That's why the real gold standard for assessing IBD is colonoscopy and not lab tests.

Have you had a fecal calprotectin test? That might be more informative than CRP in your case.

Have you had a fecal calprotectin test? That might be more informative than CRP in your case.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had it done twice now and it’s been normal but they won’t give me the actual value.

Lynda Lynda

I asked for copies of all my test results recently. I had a bunch of tests before my recent Crohn's diagnosis. I just wanted copies of the tests for my medical file at home. I hate it if Medical Assistants call me at home and say "everything looks normal." My current GI keeps me well informed during my appointments. It does get frustrating. I hope you can find a doctor who will see you sooner. 🐥

Sorry for posting all the time but this is getting to be insanely frustrating.

I can't get in to see a different GI until July so I'm looking around at different doctors to see I can get in sooner to have another scope...

Basically it's like all of my tests are coming back normal so there must not be anything wrong or it's "just IBS".

I had a colonoscopy in March of 2016, that was visually normal but the pathology showed active ileitis. I had a normal CTE, and all normal blood work and stool tests. Fast forward to now when I have been having bloody diarrhea for months, increased pain, and weight loss...my CRP is barely elevated, and everything else has come back normal. I realize that sometimes this happens and the gold standard in diagnosing Crohn's are scopes...but the NP I saw cancelled my appointment without any explanation and I can't get through to her freaking office to talk to a real person and she won't return my voicemails.

In 2016 my CRP was .8 mg/dL and now it's 1.8.

Bloody diahrea and weight loss isn't normal. You should get a good GI and a scope pronto! Don't use NSAIDS and take care.

I have the same BS - possible misdiagnosis, and was told I have IBS until my GP found the perianal fistula.

My blood results are normal as well (no anemia) despite the fact that I have very pale nails and tingling sensations in my feet.

I hope you'll find some answers soon!

Bloody diahrea and weight loss isn't normal. You should get a good GI and a scope pronto! Don't use NSAIDS and take care.

I have the same BS - possible misdiagnosis, and was told I have IBS until my GP found the perianal fistula.

My blood results are normal as well (no anemia) despite the fact that I have very pale nails and tingling sensations in my feet.

I hope you'll find some answers soon!
Agree.

I had one years ago to look for endometriosis (which isn’t even a diagnostic tool) before all of these other symptoms started happening.

Thanks! I think I need to find a different doctor because I can’t wait until July and I keep being stuck with doctors I’m not choosing.[/QUO

I suffered for years as a teenager and no one diagnosed it or blew it off as acid reflux until I got pregnant at 18 and there was no holding the crohns disease back it was forced into full on activate mode and ended with a c section and another surgery to remove part of my colon and they STILL didnt diagnose me with crohns disease because it didn't "look" like it. Pathology had to come back to diagnose it.
Its an invisible disease to the naked eye. Just keep pushing and pushing until you get relief or a diagnosis. Rough road to be on :ghug: