• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gaps diet

Hi Adriana!
Yes, I am currently on the GAPS diet after doing research on it since August 2011. After some issues with reactions to different meds and now not being able to afford Entocort and it's hefty $1080/month price tag, I am toying with the idea of using Gaps strictly to see if it actually will help my body heal.

I am breastfeeding an almost 7 month old, so I am just doing the Full GAPS diet and did not do the Intro or any of the stages as I didn't want to detox and pass toxins in through my breast milk while detoxing. I have been on it for 2 weeks, and although it is early, I am feeling well. I am slowly increasing my probiotics and fermented foods, which little reaction, but I already was eating in the Nourishing Traditions style before.

I'm definitely no expert, but if you have any questions about this diet, feel free to message me. I do believe that eating this way can aid your body in healing. I'm not convinced that I can be "Healed for life" but I do believe that you can take appropriate steps in aiding your body.

Best of luck to you!

Yes, the GAPS Diet healed me!

Hi, Adriana!

Yes, I did the GAPS diet after suffering with Crohn's for several years. I was on every single drug including Remicade and facing surgery but nothing was helping. I was in extremely bad shape and unable to leave the house. I was in the bathroom sometimes up to 18-20 times a day, plus daily bleeding. I did the GAPS diet for one year and I've been completely medication-free and symptom-free for almost a year and a half. If you do it right, it has a good possibility of helping. It's an amazing diet. If you'd like to know my full story, please read the attachment I've included.

Sincerely,

Tara

Attachments

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

David from my limited research on this it appears similar to SCD but more restricted during the first phase. Eventually once in remission the diet eases and more things are available for consumption. I'd like to get the book and read and can give more info.

Tara, thank you so much for sharing your positive experience! I am new to all of this and don't really have a confirmed diagnosis of Crohn's...I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis/proctitis and a recent upper endoscopy revealed active and chronic inflammation, non definite for Crohn's. Anyway, I recently began the gaps diet itch the help of a health coach....only eating boiled chicken and the broth... Feels like things were better the first day but the second is much rougher...do you recall how your journey began? Thank ou so much for our help!

Hi All - I am new to this forum and I'm sure the answers are on here somewhere but is there anyone that has done GAPS or SCD and truly seen major results? I am willing to do it but the doctors keep saying its all BS. On the other hand, I read all the books where people are healed by these diets. I'm willing to try it but I'd sure love to hear about some real experiences from people that did the true diet and if it worked for them. I have Ulcerative Colitis but possible Crohn's. The MDs can't quite decide. Thanks!

Hi All - I am new to this forum and I'm sure the answers are on here somewhere but is there anyone that has done GAPS or SCD and truly seen major results? I am willing to do it but the doctors keep saying its all BS. On the other hand, I read all the books where people are healed by these diets. I'm willing to try it but I'd sure love to hear about some real experiences from people that did the true diet and if it worked for them. I have Ulcerative Colitis but possible Crohn's. The MDs can't quite decide. Thanks!
Forget the idea that doctors know everything. Most of them know nothing about anything that isn't pharmaceutical drugs.