• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gas problems after Surgery

Dear all,

I had a surgery 10 days ago, which unfortunately led to a small infection, which resulted in further days at the hospital and some hard core antibiotics:( I had about 10 cm removed due to scar-tissues. The surgeons preformed a side to side bowel surgery, so that I hopefully can go many years without surgery....

Now I am home, and trying to heal. Unfortunately nobody told me how to eat, so I ate what I wanted:( And man am I paying for it now. I have eaten lot of vegetables, dark bread, fruits and so on....As I found out today, all the wrong things.

I have a lot of cramps, lasting 5 sec, as the gas passes, and I am of course farting. My stomach is making a lot of noises as well. I am trying not to stress, but I am afraid I really did something damaging to my healing guts.
I am on the toilet around 10-15 a day with yellow watery stools, and also pass a lot of gas here.

So my question, have anyone tried this and can you help me get rid of this gas situation?

Thanx, Maria

When I had surgery I was on a surgical soft diet when I went home. I was afraid to eat anything else. My bathroom habits and gas were the same as what you are describing for the first two weeks. After time its lessens. As far as the cramping, have you been eating smaller meal? I noticed I had to have small portions for awhile or I would cramp too.

Thanks Jess for the reply. It really helps. My doctor told me that the first week is critical, therefor I cannot imagine that anything has gone wrong. The pain is really bad when I walk around, but I can more og less manage it when I am lying down. I am glad you are telling me there is hope. Sometimes the cramps are so severe, I am about to call the hospital, but that surely will not help if its only stupid gas.
I am not eating much, because of the cramps and nausea from the bloating. I try to eat a little bit every two-three hours. Some yoghurt, some milkeshake with proteins, some white pasta with chicken or some white bread with cheese.

Thanks Jess for the reply. It really helps. My doctor told me that the first week is critical, therefor I cannot imagine that anything has gone wrong. The pain is really bad when I walk around, but I can more og less manage it when I am lying down. I am glad you are telling me there is hope. Sometimes the cramps are so severe, I am about to call the hospital, but that surely will not help if its only stupid gas.
I am not eating much, because of the cramps and nausea from the bloating. I try to eat a little bit every two-three hours. Some yoghurt, some milkeshake with proteins, some white pasta with chicken or some white bread with cheese.
Did they make sure you were passing gas before you left the hospital? I know it hurts to get up and walk around but believe me it's the best thing for you. Getting up and moving gets the gas to come down. Pass gas at will, it will make your stomach feel much better! Before I came home from the hospital I had a day when I could not pass gas and the pain and cramping that came with it was worse then any pain I've ever felt, getting up and walking around helped to get my bowels moving so I was able to pass gas. My stomach felt much better after that.

I did pass gas at the hospital and everything was going okay until I returned home and began eating. I wasn't really eating anything at the hospital, except some bananas, a small amount of chips and so. The problems started once I started eating. I lost 8 pounds, so I was so eager to gain weight. Today I started the new diet, and I hope it works soon;)

I hope the new diet helps! I remember wanting to have a burger when I got home. It sounded so good, my fiancé was reluctant to let me have it. So I had stopped on my way home from a follow up visit. I was so delicious, but wasn't worth the pain that came after. Nothing is worse than having to tell him when he is right! ha!

Thx cannot wait to come out on the other side. When you are feeling like this, you cannot imagine ever feeling better.

I know just what you mean, my incision was not healing properly. I ended up having to pack is for almost three months before it was fully healed. Its seemed like there was no end in sight. Keep your chin up! It'll get better and you'll be glad you did it!

Hi Jess,
Just wanted you to know how my day went. I am still having severe cramps, which can only be helped by passing gas or going to the toilet. I helps when I lie down and swing my legs around. So silly:(
Although the pain started later today, as of this afternoon actually, so I had some relief until then, but man it is getting worse as the evening comes...Maybe it is all the gas I build up during the day that hits hard now. I actually felt so good for such a long time today that I managed to take two long walks.
I have found some medical sites recommending GasX for these cramps. Have you tried them? Unfortunately I cannot buy them until monday:/
I too have problems with my wound, a small part will not heal and keep leaking, I havethe nurse gave me bandages and I have to change them twize a day. The nurse told me to watch the wound carefully for any signs of redness or fever but none of that has yet come. She took an infection sample, I will visit her again on tuesday, hope they dont put me on antibiotics, since my body is already so weak.

Today was also the first day I passed a bit more normal stool, so I this means that things are improving, even if I am having a lot of cramping right now..