• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ghee and milk for treatment of fistula

Has anyone tried ghee and milk to treat fistula?

I had my first abscess last July 2013 and had it lanced at ER. Was given 3 different sets of antibiotics, but the lump remained. Went examination under anaesthesia (EUA) in of August. The plan was to do a fistulatomy or a seton whatever is needed. According to the surgeon I had a healing fistula so what they did is to clean the area of the abscess. They did not put any seton in.

My problem is, I can still feel pain after BM, sometimes it is not so bad, sometimes it takes about an hour or so and hot compress to relieve the pain. I still have discharge and can still feel a squishy area on the original site. I am scared that the abscess is coming back since the incision site is almost closing. I am looking at trying ghee and milk, just wondered if someone else has tried it and what are their experience.

I'm sorry to say I think you need antibiotics as well as for your doctor to do another round of tests. The hardness, discharge and swelling suggest infection. Having battled fistulas myself, I understand how frustrating it is to take all the meds and still have no resolution. Once it's reached this stage natural remedies may support the body's ability to heal but I am afraid it will not be strong enough to knock out the underlying cause of the fistula, inflammation.

Good advice from Mountaingem. Milk ain't gonna do it.

Antibiotics (Flagyl & Cipro) are the usual first line meds with abscess & fistulas. I've been there twice.

Good Luck

Thanks Mountaingem and Mike. I have no intention of ditching medical intervention. It is such I am no longer in antibiotics and my next doctors appointment (one month post-op) is still next week. In the meantime........

I started taking ghee and milk 2 days ago. Ghee look so unhealthy and fatty and I cringe at how it may taste. Surprisingly, it is tasty. I only did 1/8 cup of milk for fear of diarrhea. So far, I did not have any diarrhea. I will continue this till my doctors appointment next week. Maybe, it is psychological and I want this to work, but I have seen a bit of improvement in terms of pain. Wait and see what happens......

Update.... the discharge is less and the pain is lesser. Still no diarrhea. Trying to be a vegetarian at this time to counter the fat I am ingesting from the ghee. I will do this till my doctors appointment next week. Does it work? Maybe, maybe not but since I am under no antibiotics or medication right now, I have nothing to lose. The positive I see here is the feeling of hope that maybe it will work. When I woke up in the morning this past few days, I have this feeling of positive anticipation that it is getting better, psychological or not, I really feel better.

As I said on my previous post, I am not ditching my doctors and their expert opinions. I am doing this in the meantime while waiting for my next appointment.

Sorry for not replying sooner. No the ghee and milk did not heal my fistula. I still have drainage BUT, I am still taking it because it helped me with the pain. I used to have hours and hours of pain after BM, I noticed when I started taking ghee that the pain lessened each day to a point that it is just a discomfort on the wound site where they lanced it. I no longer experience the hours and hours of shooting pain that seems to go up the rectum after BM.

So from my experience, no it did not heal my fistula but I believed that it helped me manage the pain.

I've got Crohns Disease. Had an abscess and enterocutaneous fistulas.. I drank 1 cup of warm milk with 1 tablespoon of Ghee butter TWICE, daily. It did wonders for me. Helped my pain go away, sleep at night, soothed bowl movements. Once my pain started to decreased a good amount, I took it upon myself to dwindled my consumption of Ghee. We've all been there before, when we end up kicking things that work for us to the curb lol. Meh...not on purpose but, anyways, I think starting tomorrow I will get back on my past regimen. I can not find the website that I pulled this information from, I'm sorry. It was 2 years ago and i moved in the process.

(I am very new to this forum. I just made an account right now to answer this question. I will log in from time to time! Blessings to everyone)

ronroush7, I appreciate the welcome! Thank you. I have no more abscess! I was healing my abscess and fistula. I think I had it for probably 8 months and then last october 2016 is when it started to close! I only drank the milk and ghee for about 2 weeks and then dwindled down to every other day to just adding ghee butter to my boiled carrots and green beans etc :ghug:

That's a first Shimmery, you should present your case at the CRS forums! The Ghee producers would love it too!:yrolleyes::I drink tons of cow milk but it don't help!!:ybatty:

Still doing the ghee and milk. I don't know if it is psychological, but every time I decide to stop,the pain starts. So I still do it to this day. I am having my blood drawn every year to check if it causes any high cholesterol level, so far normal so I am sticking to it. Good luck to those who may want to try. This is from my personal experience and is not intended as a medical advice.

My same thoughts Around the Corner. I am happy your cholesterol levels have been good! Please let me add I was taking remicade infusions at that time. The remicade helped but then I became allergic and had a bad reaction of blisters all over the inside of my hands! Told my doctor then she got me on humira. That helped too. I'm still taking humira every other week as prescribed. When they first put me on humira I had to take medication called Imuran everyday twice a day. Had a bad feeling that that pill was making me even sicker! I told my dr. but I think they didn't think I was having a problem with that. I quit taking imuran on my own. (It is a organ transfer drug). idk... but anyways I stopped taking imuran and the ONLY thing i take now is Humira. And I'm going back to ghee butter.

OMG, I found the article online that I read a couple of years ago that helped me out, talking about ghee! You guys don't know how excited I am. I may need to prit it out so I dont lose it haha. Here it is:
Okay NVM. I can't post it yet. I have to post 10 posts before im allowed to post a link. BUT I can tell you to....
type in the google search bar "Treatment And Cure For Posterior Fistula | HubPage". The article that I am referring to should be the first link. When you click it, the first paragraph should read "Cure For Posterior Fistula

I have been procrastinating writing this article on cure for posterior fistula. From my research in the internet, apparently there is no oral cure for posterior fistula, except surgery. I procrastinated because I didn’t think anyone would believe me, that there is a simple oral cure for this problem. What I am going to describe is from my personal experience; how I cured myself of this problem by using a very simple oral method. Yes, there is a cure without surgery, if you are as lucky as me. At least this worked for me. As for you, I don’t know."