• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Grain and gluten allergy?

Hi all, I’m a 26 year old female diagnosed with crohns about five years ago. End of last year I noticed I was having more frequent BMs where as before I would have 1-2 a day. It was getting more like 4-5 a day. I’ve been on 100mg of imuran ever since diagnosis. I decided to start keeping a food log and grains/gluten don’t seem to be agreeing. To the point where I have to voimmit or poop within twenty minutes of eating any of it. This was confirmed this weekend and ever since I’ve been super nauseated. I’m just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with gluten/grains and what to do. Thanks!

I think this is quite common, I follow a blog called a balanced belly which is written by a lady with Crohn’s who is gluten and dairy free. It’s very informative and she posts recipes and lots of informative content which may be of some help to you. She also has a Facebook group if you are on FB which is such a lovely and friendly place, I’ve learnt a lot from being in it.

I don’t have an issue with gluten myself but hopefully this is of some help, I hope things pick up for you soon x

I think this is quite common, I follow a blog called a balanced belly which is written by a lady with Crohn’s who is gluten and dairy free. It’s very informative and she posts recipes and lots of informative content which may be of some help to you. She also has a Facebook group if you are on FB which is such a lovely and friendly place, I’ve learnt a lot from being in it.

I don’t have an issue with gluten myself but hopefully this is of some help, I hope things pick up for you soon x
Thank you so much! I will look into it!

Hi all, I’m a 26 year old female diagnosed with crohns about five years ago. End of last year I noticed I was having more frequent BMs where as before I would have 1-2 a day. It was getting more like 4-5 a day. I’ve been on 100mg of imuran ever since diagnosis. I decided to start keeping a food log and grains/gluten don’t seem to be agreeing. To the point where I have to voimmit or poop within twenty minutes of eating any of it. This was confirmed this weekend and ever since I’ve been super nauseated. I’m just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with gluten/grains and what to do. Thanks!
I have an allergy to gluten. If I eat any, I spend several hours in the bathroom so I try to avoid it.

Scipio

You might have celiac disease, which is not a true allergy but is definitely a strong immune reaction against gluten. We usually think of celiac disease as a disease of childhood that carries over into adulthood. But in reality celiac can start at any age.

There are blood tests your doctor can order to determine whether you have celiac disease.

my little penguin

Staff member
There is a difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance.
Many folks with Crohns have a food intolerance to gluten /wheat
These can cause GI symptoms but will not result in death
A true food allergy causes symptoms which can lead to anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock /death .

My child has a true food allergy to tree nuts and fish
Even traces will result in symptoms of anaphylaxis

Please see an allergist to determine whether the vomiting /diarrhea is due to a food allergy or food intolerance

Symptoms
Anaphylaxis symptoms occur suddenly and can progress quickly. The early symptoms may be mild, such as a runny nose, a skin rash or a "strange feeling." These symptoms can quickly lead to more serious problems, including:

Trouble breathing
Hives or swelling
Tightness of the throat
Hoarse voice
Nausea
Vomiting
Abdominal pain
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Fainting
Low blood pressure
Rapid heart beat
Feeling of doom
Cardiac arrest
People who have had a severe allergic reaction are at risk for future reactions. Even if your first reaction is mild, future reactions might be more severe. That's why it's important to carry self-injectable epinephrine if you are at risk, and 911 should be dialed in the event of a very serious reaction.

Understanding anaphylaxis and the things that can trigger this severe allergic reaction will help you manage your condition.

From
https://acaai.org/allergies/anaphylaxis

Crohns patients can also develop celiac

my little penguin

Staff member
Also there are plenty of non gluten
Or non wheat grains
Quinoa
Sorghum
Rice
Corn
Rye
All nut flours (these can be dense and hard to digest)
Cassava flour (again high fiber so can cause issues )

Scipio

Also there are plenty of non gluten
Or non wheat grains
Quinoa
Sorghum
Rice
Corn
Rye
All nut flours (these can be dense and hard to digest)
Cassava flour (again high fiber so can cause issues )
Rye has gluten. Wheat, barley, and rye are the big three grains that should be avoided by people with celiac disease or some other form of gluten intolerance.

Oats is another good gluten-free grain, although sometimes oats are contaminated with small amounts wheat if they are processed at the same facilities.

I went 11 years with undiagnosed Celiac and was finally diagnosed when I was 24. I'm 30 now and have been on a very strict GF diet. Like people with food allergies, you have to be careful and make sure you read ingredients. There's gluten in things you wouldn't even think about. It's also different for everyone. For me personally I found out that I'm super sensitive. I don't eat out anywhere, even if there's a gluten-free option because of the risk of cross-contamination. But, I have a friend with Celiac who doesn't react to cross-contamination. There's also foods that say gluten-free but on the back state that they are processed in a facility that processes wheat (like Scipio pointed out). When it comes to oats, I use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. Thankfully there's a lot more gluten-free options than there used to be.
Make sure you get tested. It's usually a blood test followed by an Endoscopy. Keep us updated on what you find out.Lots of love ❤

I went 11 years with undiagnosed Celiac and was finally diagnosed when I was 24. I'm 30 now and have been on a very strict GF diet. Like people with food allergies, you have to be careful and make sure you read ingredients. There's gluten in things you wouldn't even think about. It's also different for everyone. For me personally I found out that I'm super sensitive. I don't eat out anywhere, even if there's a gluten-free option because of the risk of cross-contamination. But, I have a friend with Celiac who doesn't react to cross-contamination. There's also foods that say gluten-free but on the back state that they are processed in a facility that processes wheat (like Scipio pointed out). When it comes to oats, I use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. Thankfully there's a lot more gluten-free options than there used to be.
Make sure you get tested. It's usually a blood test followed by an Endoscopy. Keep us updated on what you find out.Lots of love ❤
I had labs drawn yesterday to see about celiacs. What do you do for public outings or vacation if you don’t eat out at all? That’s what worries me especially getting ready to go on my sisters bachelorette party out of town.

my little penguin

Staff member
Byrn09
Ds has had life threatening food allergies for 10 years
Rules for eating out
You call ahead at a none busy time to talk to the manager
Ask about cross contamination
Do they or can they use a clean prep area (utensils etc plus a seoetate clean pan for your food
Most restaurants have gluten free menus upon request
Create a chef card to give to the chef when ordering explaining what you avoid
And cross contamination
Talk to the manager again when you get there
As well as the waitress
Be prepared to tip well
Catered events they sometimes can handle
Sometimesnot
When in doubt go without
Eat prior and just drink soda at the event
Or bring your own
You can cook a lot in a hotel room with a rice steamer
In a pinch safe hot dogs can be held in boiling water in a thermos for hours
Woth a safe bun plus lays plain chips
Frito lays labels and has a gluten free section on the website

General Mills as well
Most chain fast food restaurants have online menus for allergens
Wendy’s chili is free of the top eight allergens
Plus baked potato /drink

Think of what you can eat not what you can’t
Good luck

I have a minor gluten intolerance. I don't eat any pasta, regular bread or the like.

I eat Ezekiel bread because it has zero sugar though I am not entirely sure if it is wheat free. I eat heaps of rice, oats and barley.

I have a big sack of oats and brown rice in my cupboard. If I ever make soup I put barley in EVERY soup ...thats how much I like it lol.