• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone tried Elemental 028 Extra Powder?

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds drinks the eventual formula from the same manufacturer available in the United States
Neocate jr

https://www.nutriciahcp.com/uploade...te/ons/shop/Neocate-Junior-Datacard_2(38).pdf

Eo28 is no longer available premixed and is now “splash”

Elemental formula tastes foul
According to Ds like rotten frozen French fries cold
He only drinks it orally because as a teenager he didn’t want an ng tube

It took him about 2-3 weeks to get used to drinking it without gagging
And we tried all the flavors
Typically only toddlers can drink elemental without a tube

Good luck

Eo28 is no longer available premixed and is now “splash”
Do you mean the product is no longer available in a liquid form and is only available as a powder?

Elemental formula tastes foul
According to Ds like rotten frozen French fries cold
He only drinks it orally because as a teenager he didn’t want an ng tube

It took him about 2-3 weeks to get used to drinking it without gagging
And we tried all the flavors
Typically only toddlers can drink elemental without a tube
I have never tried a fully elemental product before; but everyone says the same thing as you in regards to its taste, and how hard it is to use them as a sole nutritional entity for a long time. This is disappointing.

I asked this question in another Crohn's forum. Here is how a person described her experience with it:

I didn't get on with it, I'm afraid. The drinks tasted exactly as you would expect artificially-flavoured regurgitated vomit to taste - not that I've ever tasted the latter, but I feel fairly confident in my expectation that it would be similar to Elemental 028. The thing that sticks out the most in my mind is the sickly, cloying aftertaste - it lasted for ages and no amount of water could wash it away. I only lasted two weeks. I was meant to have 9 cartons a day, but by the second week, I was doing well if I got 3 cartons a day down.
Have you ever tasted your child's formula? What do you think?

my little penguin

Staff member
Eo28 splash used to come pre mixed as juice box style for little kids but was not complete nutrition

Within the last two years they switched to it be named “splash” which is still pre mixed in individual cartons woth four flavors grape tropical unflavored and another version

It has never been a powder based can in the US

Ds drinks neocate jr which is elemental and a powder which must be mixed daily

He has used it as sole nutrition
But now uses it as 50% of his calories

I have tasted all of the different formulas
Semi elemental peptamen jr peptide
Elemental neocate jr and elecare jr
Both have flavored versions
Woth abd wothout probiotics

Your tongue basically revolts woth elemental formula
I tried to wipe it physically off with a paper towel
Nomluck on what I drank afterwards
Tried coating woth chocolate syrup

Didn’t work
They best process to get past this

Get a cup of crushed ice
Fill it tonthe top
Pour the formula in
Use a straw and plug your nose while you try to drink
The more you drink the better
You only get the after taste once you stop physically drinking
Rinse repeat
After a few days to weeks (ok weeks )
Then your taste buds adjust to
That brand and that flavor
Other flavors or brands will be like starting over
Which is why Ds will not change

He has been on elemental for over two years
Semi elemental for 6 years prior to that
But won’t switch back to semi elemental since he doesn’t want to go through the taste again

I didn't know there was such a big difference between elemental and semi-elemental formulas in regards to their taste; but everyone says the same thing. I have tried semi elemental formulas like Modulen, Ensure, and some others in the past, and while they were not the best tasting things in the world, they were not unbearable to me either. I have never tried an amino acid based formula, I didn't know this difference (elemental - semi elemental) in the formula makes such a big difference in their taste.

Last edited:
It's a couple of years since I had E028 but I did try the unflavoured powder that you mix with water and the flavoured splash cartons. Both were equally horrible tasting but when they are they only thing you can eat/drink you will drink them. I also found they left a terrible taste in your mouth that you couldn't remove. I have also tried ensure and fortisip which I think are polymeric drinks. They don't taste great either but compared to E028 they taste amazing.

Has anyone had any success with Kate Farms? They are very tasty but there is no research support on it's effectiveness.

Kate Farms chocolate makes me very sick. I am not sure what about it makes me sick but stomach pain and diarrhea all day from it.