• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hate not working..

I really hate missing work, and I'm sure my employers hate it even more. For the past 2 years I have been working as a cook, started out as a grill cook and now I'm working as a prep cook/closer. The chef that brought me in was extremely understanding of my disease since one of his best friends had crohns as well. My start time at the time was 7am. Every morning I felt like shit, everyone thought I was just "lazy" or "tired" but the chef could see the pain in my face. After working their for about 6 months with countless write ups for being tardy, me, the chef, and a few other cooks moved on to work for the competitors. Since the chef was aware of my condition, he wanted to help me out as much as possible so he suggested I started later at 10am. I thought, "great, this will really help me out in the mornings and give me extra time to relax if I start getting flare ups". 1.5years go by and I'm doing better than ever, once in a while I'll have a flare up but usually I won't miss a full day, instead maybe just an hour or two late. That chef has since moved on to another company but I have been lucky to have such cool management to where they're also understanding.

Now jumping to last week, my employers had asked if I could help out an account to get their cafe up and running, it would only be for 2 weeks, and the start time would be at 6am. I figured since I was doing so well lately that I wouldn't have any stomach problems in the morning any more but I guessed wrong. My first day went smooth, but the second day I couldn't leave the bathroom. It was so painful and I was embarrassed because here I am with this big opportunity supposed to be helping and building a cafe, and all I could do is sit on the toilet while listening to people trying to open my stall for hours. I'm hoping I can get back to my 10am start time soon...

Does any one else have issues mainly in the mornings?

Mornings are rough till my system is cleared out. Have you tried shifting your meal times? Gong to bed super early and waking earlier to shift that difficult morning time before you have to work?

Mornings are rough till my system is cleared out. Have you tried shifting your meal times? Gong to bed super early and waking earlier to shift that difficult morning time before you have to work?
I try not to eat past 8pm, but I didnt do too much to compensate for my new start time. Maybe my body is not used to those early mornings, it sucks having to get used to things though. I find it's much easier to keep our bodies on the same routine, any change in routine really messes me up.