• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have You Had Martius Flap Surgery for RVF?

Anyone here had successful (or unsuccessful) Martius flap surgery to repair a rectovaginal fistula? If so, what was your experience -- surgery, recovery and results?

I actually was in this trial! Sadly, only some improvement. Weighing a new trial with direct injection of donor stem cells vs. Martius surgery right now (as we wait for trial to be approved to move forward).

Last edited:
I am sorry to her it was not a successful for you. Is the new direct injection of donor stem cells only for RVF? I am interested in it for rectal fistula. Best of luck!

I am sorry to her it was not a successful for you. Is the new direct injection of donor stem cells only for RVF? I am interested in it for rectal fistula. Best of luck!
I believe they may be pursuing trials for both, but I'm not sure. Rectal fistulas tend to have better success rates with intervention than RVF, I believe, and other trials have started with rectal, so hopefully for you and others.