• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hawkeye'e Fitness Thread

hawkeye

Staff member
So, now that I have my resection well behind me I have taken up running again. Just started back at it a month or so ago after building up a base of walking.

I am working up to running 10 minute intervals and walking a minute. I am now at running 3 minutes and walking a minute x 5 sets. Feeling pretty good. I've registered for a 5K next weekend and another one in October.

Good for you! I have just started getting back into the gym after a flare. My knees are still a little off, but I have been riding the bike, light weights and walking, afterwards I feel great.
Is that your little one in the pic? So cute!

I haven't been to the gym since before Christmas. Need a little encouragement. Glad you are feeling better and started exercising. I know once I get there I will be fine, it is just getting there.

Crohns since 1995...just started remicade treatments
Possible surgery due to stricture.

Just had my first treatment last Wednesday. Only had one bad day so far and no side effects. The nurses were nice and made me very comfortable. Felt great today.

The first 3 are around 4 hours. After that it is 2 hours every 8 weeks. Mine was done at a clinic at the hostpital.

hawkeye

Staff member
Did 6 sets of run 3 min., walk 1 min tonight ended up at 3.5 km. It was fast at times - looking at my Garmin at some points I was running a 5:30 min/km and 5:45 min/km pace.

hawkeye

Staff member
Ran the 5K this morning. completed it in 34:52 (chip time) and ran it doing in 3 and 1’s .
My Garmin (GPS watch) died about 200 metres in and I had to reset it, but it aside from that things went great.
Photos of the shirt and medal below.

Attachments

hawkeye

Staff member
I am very happy with my time given that I am less than 6 months out from my resection. My wife, a veteran runner, was surprised that my chip time was under 35 minutes. Gun time (time from the start pistol until you finish) was 37:17.

Already registered for another 5K in October.

hawkeye

Staff member
Went out for a 4 and 1 tonight. It was a hard run - I had to work the past 2 nights so didn't have a chance to get out for a run

hawkeye

Staff member
Another group of 4 and 1's yesterday morning. Transitioning up to 5 and 1's this week. While out for the run yesterday morning, I had a view of the local hospital from our subdivision - I was in there 6 months ago this week, following my resection.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That's great that you're transitioning to 5 and 1's! Sounds like you're making good progress. Are you training for another race or just running for health reasons at this point?

hawkeye

Staff member
Training for a 5K in October. I'll keep the running up through the winter - it's great exercise.

hawkeye

Staff member
Probably outdoors, but only if time and weather permit. It is also dark when we get up and come home from work so I may have to use our treadmill downstairs.

hawkeye

Staff member
Managed to keep up with the running this week while on vacation. Got up this morning and was out of the house for a run before 7 to beat the heat. Ended up spending the morning in the sun fixing the front steps.

hawkeye

Staff member
Went up to 3 sets of running for minutes and walking for 1 minute tonight. It seemed hard - maybe it was the effect of a couple of late nights.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh, I would not be able to do anything after eating chicken wings. :p My GERD is so bad, I get terrible reflux and nausea if I eat or drink anything a couple hours before working out (I can't even have sports drinks, I can only have water and antacids). 6 and 1s sound like a big improvement though! Good job!

hawkeye

Staff member
Cat, luckily they were just plain breaded wings and not hot wings..

Another round of 6 and 1s tonight (No chicken wings this time). It was over 20C here (high 60's low 70's F) so the weather was great. I'll probably get to 7 and 1s next week and hopefully be up to 10 and 1s by my 5K at the end of October

hawkeye

Staff member
Another 6 and 1 this morning - stayed in bed until 8:10, but had the run over by 9.

Four weeks until the 5K event.

hawkeye

Staff member
It is a timed event but I am not going to be super competitive. I'll be happy with a time in the 35ish minutes range. I'll probably keep running over the winter and do the odd 5K and then maybe a 10K next year.

I am up to 8 and 1's this week and am hoping to be up to 10 and 1's by the event.

I am feeling great, having the surgery was a good move. I go back to the surgeon next month for the 2nd follow up. I think they see you at 8 weeks out and then at 6 months - but by that time it will be close to 8 and 1/2 months. I think my surgeon is one of the better ones around here, so between the OR and his time in the ICU, he is probably a pretty busy guy. I head back to the GI at the end of November for a scope so it will be interesting to see how the scope results correlate with being off medication and feeling good.

hawkeye

Staff member
Did 8 and 1s again tonight. It was warm enough for shorts and a t shirt. Ramping it up to 10 and 1s this weekend.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow, your weather must be warmer than ours! It's been in the 50s F during the day and down into the 30s at night. I've had my electric blanket turned on most nights. Haven't turned the heat on yet but probably will soon. And when I walk the dog, I wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt & jacket. There's definitely a chill in the air!

hawkeye

Staff member
Cat, the weather is starting to change here. I went out Sunday morning and had to have a long sleeve running shirt on. It was above freezing, maybe 5 Celsuis, frost on the roofs of houses along the run. Legs were warm enough in shorts though.

Did 2 sets of 10 and 1s

hawkeye

Staff member
Ran for 20 minutes straight last night. 8 Celsuis (46F), had to get out the running pants and a ling sleeve running shirt. It might be time to put the shorts away until April.

hawkeye

Staff member
Did the 5K race this morning. Chip time was 30:24 a personal best, only took a 1 minute walk break.

The temperature was 8 Celsius (46F) and the rain held off until the 5 hour marathon folks were finishing so that was great.

hawkeye

Staff member
I've been off running since the marathon, but went out for a run this morning. I managed to do just under 3 K in about 20 minutes. It was -10 C (14F) with a -15C (5F) windchill. Time for the cold weather running gear.

Had my post surgery scope (9 months since surgery) on Wednesday - no visible Crohn's and the surgery site looked good.

hawkeye

Staff member
Went out for 3 sets of 5 and 1s this afternoon and did a 2.5k distance. It's not every December 25th that you can run in 11 degree Celsius (low 50s F) temperatures.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Shoveling is a good workout! Are you guys having the super cold weather right now too? We're having -30 F windchills today (looks like that's about -34 C). It's too bitterly cold to do much of anything outside here.

hawkeye

Staff member
Cat, it turned cold here today, it's forecast to be -20C with a -34C windchill tonight and the next few nights so it looks like any running will be on the treadmill

hawkeye

Staff member
Ran 3 sets of 6 and 1s on the treadmill last night. This evening was spent shoveling the driveway and finishing it with the snow blower and snow blowing my neighbour's driveway.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
It sounds like you guys are getting a lot of snow! We got some snow last week but this week it's looking like no snow. I haven't shoveled yet myself although my hubby has shoveled a couple times (I've had the flu so that got me out of shoveling duty).

hawkeye

Staff member
We've probably got maybe 30 cm (1 foot ) of snow down. We received a couple of dustings this week. Rain and warmer temps on the way for tomorrow, so the snow will probably go.

Another 3 sets of 6 and 1s tonight. I'll likely try running for 7 minute sets this coming week.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
We've had warmer temps and some rain as well, and our snow is almost completely gone now. I was able to go snowshoeing once so far this year and I'm not sure when I'll be able to go again as I can see green (okay, mostly brown) grass and barely any snow! I just ordered myself some new ice skates and I'm hoping that the outdoor ice rinks will still be in good enough shape for me to get some skating sessions in. What an odd winter, especially compared to last year! Last year we had tons of snow and it was so bitterly cold, this year it's relatively warm and not very snowy.

hawkeye

Staff member
It is back to lawns here, no snow to be had except where there were piles from shoveling or plowing.

Did another run on the treadmill Thursday. I'll probably look at starting 7 and 1's tomorrow.

hawkeye

Staff member
Did 2 7 and 1s last night and a 6 and 1. I will make a point of getting on the treadmill more this week than I did last week.

Shoveling / snow blowing after the blizzard will also be a good workout.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
How much snow have you guys gotten from the blizzard? I read in the news that it wasn't quite as bad as they thought it would be, so hopefully you didn't get crazy amounts of snow. We got a dusting yesterday so we once again have a bit of snow, but you can still see blades of grass sticking up through it. :p My snowshoes haven't exactly gotten a lot of use this year!

hawkeye

Staff member
Since 5 or 6 AM up until a half hour ago (6-7 hours worth) about 19cm (8 inches) with another 8 to 10 inches on the way by tomorrow morning.

It's drifting quite a bit so some patches of the driveway are bare pavement with a drift around the side of the house that is almost waist deep. There is about 2 feet at the end of the driveway from the plow.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh man, I hate those walls of snow created by the plows. Those are always the worst to shovel! That'll definitely be some good exercise for you though. Stay safe in the blizzard!

hawkeye

Staff member
It's been a snow removal week and not a running week. 82 centimetres (32 inches) of snow since the storm on Tuesday.

Luckily I have a snowblower, but it is still a good workout. Spent about an hour today shoveling the fire hydrant out between our house and the neighbour's house. It's slightly lower than the road, on the opposite side of a drainage ditch - it was essentially digging a hole in a snow bank.

hawkeye

Staff member
More snow shoveling today we had another 30 cm (1 foot) last night bringing our total over the past week to 128 centimeters (over 4 feet)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow! We've gotten about 1 foot of snow in the past week. 4 feet in 1 week is a lot! I'm glad you're getting a lot of exercise from shoveling it, but I also hope it lets up soon.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow, that's a crazy amount of snow! Here in the great lakes region, we've gotten less snow than usual so far this year (I think all the snow has gone to your area & New England). We're going to have some bitter cold over the next week or so, but I think there's still no snow in the forecast for us. It's been an odd winter for sure!

hawkeye

Staff member
Another 35-45 cm (14"-18") on the way tomorrow. Grocery stores were pretty busy yesterday and today

Did a run on the treadmill Wednesday night and spent a good part of Saturday afternoon pulling snow off of a roof.

Last edited:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Sheesh, the weather is just not letting up for you! That's insane! We've had some cold wind chills lately (-20 to -30 F) but we only got a little dusting of snow over the weekend that melted as soon as the sun came out. We haven't really had much snow to speak of for a few weeks now. We got something like 10 inches maybe 3 weeks ago, but since then, basically nothing aside from a few dustings. Nothing even shovel-worthy.

hawkeye

Staff member
Did a bit of shoveling tonight after doing the driveway. Took about 20 minutes, I have been trying to keep it cleaned out since the storms started a few weeks ago.

I'd estimate the snowbank behind the hydrant is about 5 feet high.

Lisa, I thought I'd save them some time in case they have to send a truck out to the neighbourhood.

Attachments

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Has your weather warmed up, is that why you're able to run outside again? The weather here has been beautiful, it's like springtime! Literally on Saturday I was still able to snowshoe, but on Sunday most of the snow at the park had melted and I needed rubber boots instead because of all the mud! It almost literally became springtime overnight!

hawkeye

Staff member
3 runs outside this week (Sunday, Tuesday and Today) on the bare pavement with between 2 and 3 km per run, so it has been a good week for getting back into it. Running 6 and 1s now.

Another blast of winter on the way tomorrow so it looks like it will be back to the treadmill.

hawkeye

Staff member
I have managed to keep it up, another outdoor run this past weekend, but sidelined by a late winter cold now.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
We've had a reappearance of winter, too. Things were warming up, plants were starting to come up in my garden and I saw insects reappearing - then we got dumped on with 6 inches of snow (and we got off light because south of here they got over a foot). It is above freezing temps although not by much, and the snow seems to be slowly melting. It was very odd for everything to be turning green and then suddenly right back to snow! I had put away my snowshoes for the season, but I may need to get them back out again depending on how long it takes for the snow to melt.

hawkeye

Staff member
Out for another set of 6 and 1s tonight now that I am over the cold/flu that has lingered for the past week or so.

Let the 4 day weekend begin.

hawkeye

Staff member
Another batch of 6 and 1s this morning. Between 2.8 and 3 km total. Not as cold as I though it would be -10C with a -15 windchill - still too cold for April for my liking.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That is a bit cold! It's been in the 50s and 60s F here (10 to 15 C). It's supposed to rain a lot this week, which is good as we really need some rain. Are you running outdoors or still on the treadmill?

hawkeye

Staff member
This week it has been outdoors - even with the fresh snowfall on the road yesterday morning. The pavement is bare and dry now so that helps - here is hoping we have turned the corner on winter. Every day there is a bit less snow and a bit more lawn showing through.

I had to laugh, the weekly sale flyers are starting to advertise lawnmowers - it will be probably 2 months before the lawn needs to be mowed.

hawkeye

Staff member
Did 2 sets of 8 and 1s and 2 minutes for a total run time of 18 minutes tonight. Ended up doing about 3 km.

hawkeye

Staff member
9 Celsius this evening. Great weather for an outside run, haven't run in a few days as my calves were a bit sore.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Your weather is quite a bit cooler than ours still! It looks like 9 Celsius is about 48 Fahrenheit. It's 75 Fahrenheit here today - it feels like summer! It's sunny and gorgeous out. Do you guys still have snow or has that finally melted?

hawkeye

Staff member
We still have some snow in the yards, but quite a bit of lawn is showing. Any part of the lawn that gets sun for most of the day is bare. It has been a colder than normal April, but at least it is above freezing and not snowing. Not sure when teh "really big" piles of snow will melt, there was a news item on the radio this morning about the snow disposal locations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...n-saint-john-reveals-winter-s-grime-1.3036110

The ice is out of the river here, but there is still quite a bit of ice upriver, there were a few large chunks floating down tonight when I was on the run..

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
We've actually had a warmer than usual April, with lots of rain and so far no snow. No ice in any bodies of water anymore and no snow left either. It's a bit odd, I have to keep reminding myself that it's only April and it could still snow! But it sure feels like springtime/summer outside. I'm glad you're able to run outside even if it is cooler than normal there.

hawkeye

Staff member
Went out for a walk to check out the high water in the river at the end of the road tonight - the water level is up about 1 metre (3 feet) since Sunday.

Ended up doing the run inside on the treadmill tonight

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Is the water from snow melt, or have you guys gotten a lot of rain? We've had a bunch of rain here lately with more to come and we even had a little snow the other day, so I've also been doing some indoor workouts too.

hawkeye

Staff member
It's a bit of both. The snow pack in the upper reaches of the river in the northern part of the Province was normal, but the river extends into northern Maine and Quebec so the low lying areas along the river flood every year.

hawkeye

Staff member
Yardwork this afternoon. Dethatched the front lawn after loosening up with a detatching blade on the lawnmower.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I did yard work yesterday too. It was a nice day for it! I cleaned up a lot of dead leaves and sticks from the yard, and helped the hubby pull a bunch of dandelions. That's a good workout all by itself!

hawkeye

Staff member
I am looking at maybe a 3K and 5 K in June, a 5K in August and another 5K in October.

Went out for a 4.7 k run tonight with about a 0.5K walk at the start. It was warm enough for shorts.

hawkeye

Staff member
Managed to get out for a run this past Sunday and this evening. Did a little over 4 K each time at 10 and 1s

hawkeye

Staff member
Another 3 sets of 10 and 1s this morning. It was 4C outside - almost cold enough for gloves. Apparently there were snow flurries here today. The shins and calves are sore tonight.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Snow flurries! Eek! It's been pretty warm here although very rainy. No flurries though! That's a bit ridiculous at this time of year! I hope your weather warms up soon.

hawkeye

Staff member
Managed to go out for a run tonight. Attempted 3 sets of 10 and 1s, the first two were OK, but I walked a lot of the third. I guess I didn't have it in me tonight. It was the first run since Sunday, I had 2 evening meetings this week and the weather has been crap.

hawkeye

Staff member
I haven't been on much as I am on the 4th day of a 5 day weekend. Did the 5K on Sunday with a time of 33:26