• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

HELP PLEASE: Increase calorie/energy intake on SCD diet

I'm very much struggling to stick with the SCD diet as I find that I am not getting enough calories from it, especially as I improve and am engaging in more activities. Does anyone have any suggestions/meal ideas that could help to satiate my calorie/energy requirements? Especially with exercise activities as I find I feel so awful when my blood sugar gets low! I just carbo loaded today and am feeling awful because I worked out like crazy the last two days :(

I find when roasting the veg a tray of it shrinks down to hardly anything so you can eat more and not feel so full. Salmon is a high calorie food- add that on top of a chunky salmon fillet. Homemade yogurt? Small snacks often also help keep the calories for the day up. Put the effort in to making sure tou eat your snacks on time.

Avocado and coconut oil are high cal options to add calories..Or you could try adding the avocado to a smoothie.

more info,.....
how long have you been on the diet?
did you do the intro stages?
what are you eating?
what else is happening?

the SCD isn't a calorie restricted diet, you might take a little while to get used to burning fat though

more info,.....
how long have you been on the diet?
did you do the intro stages?
what are you eating?
what else is happening?

the SCD isn't a calorie restricted diet, you might take a little while to get used to burning fat though
My situation is quite complicated so the answers to these questions are all over the place. I do not have Crohns or UC, at least not according to the bio markers that are used to test for them. I have Lyme disease and then moved into a house infested with mold which completely messed up my digestive system and my body. I have been ill since 2013 but have been treating for these two issues for two years, following mostly a SCD diet but I also had to restrict sulfur rich foods. I have recently been doing better and am now able to expand my diet, work full time, and become more active but I am still having occasional set backs.

To answer your questions:

1. I've been on the diet for 2 years, though not strictly. I have always craved sugar through this diet as it seems my blood sugar levels plummet if I don't which is what has me frustrated. I am trying to now clean my diet up a ton more now that I can expand it but am struggling to ditch the sugar/carb cravings because of the energy issues.

2. I did the intro stages 2 years ago but unfortunately my issues are weird and complex and so I could not stick to it for various reasons (food reactions, etc).

3. I eat usually a salad a day (lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, olive oil and vinegar), a meal with protein (thinking of upping it to two meals with protein now that I can do eggs) and a veggie (usually zucchini and summer squash as those were my staple foods for two years but recently eating broccoli and cauliflower but they must be cooked thoroughly), cashew butter with an apple (as any other butters are too chunky and come out the way they went in). Trying to bring bananas in as well to see how I react. Again...So many weird and complex things going on with my body.

4. I am on a boat load of supps: Vit E, B complex, Phosphatidylcholine, Butyrate, Digestive enzymes, pancreatic enzymes (these are prescription), magnesium, zinc, a probiotic (even though I know it's not SCD legal but I've tried coming off of it and it's not good). Then there are the tinctures I take...Mostly for Lyme and inflammation. Some of which are SCD legal, some aren't but again if I stop it and I get worse I take that as a sign.

I recently started a prescription of VIP and having massive success with it but I want to clean up my diet and also get more active as i believe those two things will help me truly recover.

I started eating an expensive yogurt last year and it helps immensely, not SCD legal because it's not made at home and has some probiotics in it that aren't SCD legal but it helped. I've tried to make yogurt at home and haven't had great success (mostly because I burn the milk and the process takes a while and because I'm truly afraid of it causing me issues).

That's a lot of information but I warned you :) it's complicated for me! I've mostly had to figure out my own "personal" diet based on other diets and research that I've read.

Last edited:

cmack

Staff member
Have you been seeing a dietician? If one is available in your area, I would suggest a consult. Maybe your primary care physician could recommend one. It sounds complicated for sure. Just my thoughts, best wishes.

Have you been seeing a dietician? If one is available in your area, I would suggest a consult. Maybe your primary care physician could recommend one. It sounds complicated for sure. Just my thoughts, best wishes.
I did but 4 years ago before we knew what was really going on. It's looking like that may be the best route for me but I would need to find one that is also open to alternative medicine as a lot of my treatment is alternative and it's been the only thing that has helped!

Avocado and coconut oil are high cal options to add calories..Or you could try adding the avocado to a smoothie.
These are great ideas, I've been trying to increase my fat intake but I have to be careful as some fats my gut does NOT like and I react to.

My situation is quite complicated so the answers to these questions are all over the place. I do not have Crohns or UC, at least not according to the bio markers that are used to test for them. I have Lyme disease and then moved into a house infested with mold which completely messed up my digestive system and my body. I have been ill since 2013 but have been treating for these two issues for two years, following mostly a SCD diet but I also had to restrict sulfur rich foods. I have recently been doing better and am now able to expand my diet, work full time, and become more active but I am still having occasional set backs.
It is complicated, and i usually restrict my advice to saying 'play around with ancestral diets, avoid all potentially problematic foods until you can test them with an elimination diet....
SCD is a good starting point but it is an old and fairly unscientific approach.
There are other 'paleo/ancestral diets that might be a better fit
Paleo is a fairly common starting point for Lyme treatment too
A good Functional Medicine doctor might be the best starting point (someone who has been around for a while and who has good reviews)

I have always craved sugar through this diet as it seems my blood sugar levels plummet if I don't which is what has me frustrated. I am trying to now clean my diet up a ton more now that I can expand it but am struggling to ditch the sugar/carb cravings because of the energy issues.
Either
- your blood sugar is low and you should eat more appropriate carbs [1]
or
- you are not handling the feeling of your blood sugar getting low very well [2] and need to get through that stage of becoming fat adapted.
Remember, it is not just you that is craving carbs, your biome and any hangers-on are also hanging out for a sugar fix.....

You might want to try going either way slowly (and backing off quickly if it doesn't work for you)

[1] SCD is an imperfect diet, it restricts carbs and not everyone does well on low carb.
It has been demonstrated that some carbs are safe for people with digestive issues (at least that inclusion of 'safe' carbs does not shorten remission).
What is a “Safe Starch”?
https://www.thepaleomom.com/what-is-a-safe-starch/

I'd be wary of potatoes, but other tubers and white rice are 'safe'

[2] If you have always craved sugar (and i assume occasionally given in) then you may never have become "fat adapted" and will struggle with low-carb as sugar gets low until there is a sugar hit and then it gets low again...
What Does It Mean to Be Fat-Adapted?
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/