• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Homeopathic Treatment

I was diagnosed Crohn's in May 2008. I've since been on Budez (Budesonide) CR 3 caps of 3 mg and Pentasa 1 gram 3 doses daily. It gave lot of relief. Meanwhile I learnt to manage Budez dosage according to my condition & tolerance on reduced dosage. Whenever attack came I was on full steroid prescribed dosage. In between during partial remission Dr advised Mebeverine which did not suit me. I used to get swollen ankles & was uncomfortable with burning sensation on my skin.

I was advised return to earlier treatment. It's now 5 years 6 months since diagnosis. Throughout being on steroids & Pentasa I developed cataract in right eye which was recently operated.

I was advised by a reputed senior allopathy doctor friend to try Homeopathic medicine which seems to have cured some auto immune conditions. The homeopathic Dr took an hour long interview on phone in August this year & couriered medicine to me after calling for my reports.

I've been last 5 wks on this medicine comprising of 5 tiny sugar balls of 1 mm dia twice a day & little powdery substance at bed time.

I'm for the first time in last over 5 years off steroids as well as Pentasa for nearly 4 weeks now. I've never during this period of over 5 years felt as comfortable and well as I'm feeling now without my regular medicines. I'll have telephonic review with the homeopathic doctor in a week. After 3 months of treatment I will go in for a colonoscopy for review.

I'm sharing all this with you to see if anyone can benefit from my remarkable experience. My age is 62 years.

Nov the 6th,2013 - I'm still on same homeo medicines and barring a day of mild recurrence, I continue to be on remission, feeling comfortable and virtually normal without Budez & Pentasa now for 6 weeks. I had no faith in homeopathy as I don't understand it's mechanism. My experience is nothing short of remarkable. Crohn's being in curable hope some would benefit with my experience.

Nov the 27th, 2013 - homeo medicines continue while I continue to be in remission. It's now 9 weeks that I am off Budesonide and Pentasa. I'm fairly comfortable.

Dec. the 18th, 2013 - My Crohn's continues to be in remission. I continue to be off regular medicines. I feel improved appetite & digestion. Slight odeama of ankles has disappeared which used to occur virtually every evening after a day's work. My BP is now normal with diastolic around 80 which earlier hovered around 90. You can ask me should there be any further query.

Jan the 27th, 2014 - I continue in remission. I continue to be off all medicines except homeopathic. I'm in much better shape in terms of comfort. My sensitivity to milk though persists, I can now enjoy rice pudding without discomfort. Any milk product earlier caused pain & severe discomfort. I'd lost complete hair in the area between shin bone & ankle on both legs with skin becoming over sensitive in the area. Hair is now growing back & skin sensitivity is gone. Overall I feel healthier than ever before post Crohn's diagnosis.

Feb the 21st, 2014 - Continue in remission without regular medicines now for 6 months. There is no problem. It is remarkable that now I'm able to eat favourite things unimaginable while taking regular medicines. Overall feeling is good as no bloated feeling or discomfort in abdomen is observes. I could never imagine homeopathy could be so effective on such a problematic disease as Crohn's. Sometimes I feel I no longer suffer from the disease. Homeo medicines continue and doc said up to at least Jun 14.

April the 15th, 2014 - My Crohn's continues in remission. Now it is nearly 7 months that I'm off normal medicines though homeopathic medicine comprising 5 sugary balls of 1 mm dia twice a day & little powder continues. I now feel as if I never had the disease though I follow mild precautions as advised by the homeo doctor. My left eye which developed cataract due to long steroid therapy seems stabilised. There is no further deterioration since homeo treatment.

4th Dec 2014- My homeopathic doctor advised me to taper dosage down and try things that triggered the disease. I've tried milk, coffee and couple of other things which I couldn't tolerate earlier. It was like a miracle that no adverse reaction to these was felt. These went through as if I never had the disease.
I'm off homeopath's medicine. I just keep sos which hasn't been used for over a month now.
It's like a miracle. After suffering badly for 5 years it is such a relief for the last one year since I having Homeopathy treatment. I don't need to put any further posts since I feel fine now. Best wishes to the forum.

Last edited:
Hi vir koul, You said homeopathy cured your crohn's is it for real. I am also using it from past 3 months but I don't see any results. Can you give me a doctor details may be I will try at him. Thanks

Hi Ravi,
I haven’t updated my condition for nearly 3 and a half years. I’m still in remission and leading a normal life. I’ve thus far never had any further steroid or other medication. Of course I’ve very infrequently taken homeopathy medicine whenever felt the need which has been effective enough. I’m currently off any medication including homeo.
I was treated by a doctor in Mumbai. His name is Dr. Bhavesh Acharya, who runs homeopathic clinic under the name Global Homeopathy. You can check it out in the net.
My initial treatment lasted eighteen months. Couple of months of treatment may not give you the results. Other precautions are important for the homeopathic treatment to be effective. During treatment I was off aireated drink, tea, coffee, raw or salad onions, any strong smelling foods. I take all that now without any issues. Though I missed tea during the long treatment, it’s been worth the while on looking back. Also a gap of an hour before and after eating for taking homeopathic medicine is essentially required. You can take it parallelly with standard medication which you can taper down or eliminate depending upon tolerance and comfort.
Should you need any further detail I’ll be glad to furnish. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Hi Vir Koul, Thanks for your reply. you made my day. I just started homeopathy 3 months ago and I completely stopped english medicine that's why my symptoms are worse.So you had both hellopathy and homeopathy in parallel for 18 months and Now I will also start English medicine in parallel(less dose). May I know what else diet did you maintain. Are you a veg or non-veg person. I quite non veg, Milk, sodas, raw vegetables, spicy food and masala food. Only soft food I am having.

Hi Ravii,
Parallel treatment lasted only one month after I started homeopathic treatment which lasted 18 months with the precautionary practice I described.
I’d suggest don’t start English medicine if you are sustaining without while being on homeopathic medication. The discomfort should slowly get better with time while precautions are observed.
I’m a non vegetarian. I was on normal non spicy soft diet. After about a year of treatment I tried out heartily our Kashmiri non-veg spicy dishes at a wedding. I felt so relieved when it went without any discomfort.
It’s a good idea to take good combination of a probiotic. It helped me. You may have been prescribed multi vitamins and calcium. Calciferol (Vitamin D3) helped sustain during difficult times. 5000 iu ones from Costco, once a day helped.
Feel free to contact for any clarification.
Best wishes for speedy recovery

Since I stopped English medicine I lost too much weight to the max Extent(Around 15kg). and I had to run to restrooms for multiple time everyday with pain in butt which makes me sick.

You are the best judge of your condition. Parallel medication is possible. You need to judge how earliest you can get off the English medication. Steroids essentially require tapering over a month or so.
When was Crohns diagnosed in your case? When did you get last colonoscopy?

I got diagnosed last year october and I started using Pentasa until august. Steriods I haven't used much not even a week. Pentasa was good till some point then it started giving burning pains in my stomach then i switched to homeopathy. My homeopathy doctor also said samething If I am not suffering from symptoms then he asked me to stop Pentasa So I stopped it right away in August 2017. I had colonoscopy in last year oct then only i started taking medication. But I currently have very bad symptoms I lost all my weight and all my energy. Don't know what to do So planning to restart Pentasa for sometime. After you started homeopathy how many days or months it took to show you improvement. I appreciate your patience for answering to my questions.

I got diagnosed last year october and I started using Pentasa until august. Steriods I haven't used much not even a week. Pentasa was good till some point then it started giving burning pains in my stomach then i switched to homeopathy. My homeopathy doctor also said samething If I am not suffering from symptoms then he asked me to stop Pentasa So I stopped it right away in August 2017. I had colonoscopy in last year oct then only i started taking medication. But I currently have very bad symptoms I lost all my weight and all my energy. Don't know what to do So planning to restart Pentasa for sometime. After you started homeopathy how many days or months it took to show you improvement. I appreciate your patience for answering to my questions.
You are welcome any time. I'll be happy to be of help. As long as you are not on steroids, Pentasa is comparatively better. I see no harm in restarting Pentasa since your symptoms currently seem severe. Its important you remain comfortable and shouldn't lose weight. Suggest consultation with doctor for severe symptoms and follow his suggested medication. At the same time consult homeopathic doctor who may look in to your severe symptoms now and adjust potency of the homeopathic medicine. This should settle you first. After remaining symptom free for at least a month you can taper English medicine down and go off it if you remain almost symptom free only on homeopathy.
Best wishes, Vir

Hi vir
Good to hear that u had good results with homeopathy. I m trying homeopathy as well but along with infliximab and azathioprine.
But the issue is that I have an active Anal fistula from one year that could not be healed by taking Adalimumab for 9 months.
Through homeopathy, I can feel an improvement somehow as some flares could b controlled without antibiotics n steroids ( just with homeopathy medicines). But don’t know if can heal fistula too.
Any experience regarding that??