• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hormonal imbalances and Crohn's

Wondering if anyone has had this looked into, I posted in regular IBS discussion but posting here too because it might be relevant.

Chronic inflammatory conditions can cause hormonal imbalances leading to depression. I'm not an expert in hormones, I know this applies specifically to men but maybe women as well.

Your hormones are produced in a pathway starting with cholesterol that travels through a conversion process.
More on it here, or just check out the flow chart.
https://youtu.be/_xrU7HREfcU

Basically along the path, the first possible branch leads to Cortisol. If you know anything about Cortisol, it's the hormone your body produces to fight inflammation, it's immune-suppressing, it has a lot of negative effects along with its beneficial ones.

The important thing to take away from this here is if you have chronic inflammation, your body steals the resources used to create hormones to make cortisol instead and you end up with low testosterone / estrogen.

I know in the UK at least you can get TRT for this which can greatly help with general health, mood and weigh gain.

I want to look into this in the US, and I'm wondering if hormone therapy is safe with Crohn's disease.

I've spoken to bodybuilders using illegal steroids (primarily Testosterone) with Crohn's and they said it's been helpful to them, but it's a small sample size of about 2.

I have been in a flare for over 7 months now. I have not been depressed, but I am having anger issues lately. I had this in the past and had to go to anger management. If Crohn's Disease can affect every thing from you mouth to your butt and everything in between, I dont see why it wouldn't affect mental actions.

I have been in a flare for over 7 months now. I have not been depressed, but I am having anger issues lately. I had this in the past and had to go to anger management. If Crohn's Disease can affect every thing from you mouth to your butt and everything in between, I dont see why it wouldn't affect mental actions.
In my research since posting this I've found a definitive link between Crohn's and the hormonal system linked to emotions.

Some patients with crohn's / colitis have gone into remission on Welbutrin, an anti-depressant.

Recently there was a discovery directly connecting the brain with the lymphatic system which suggests a direct link between hormones, neurotransmitters and auto-immune.

There was a case study of a patient put in remission by a therapy using neurotransmitter rebalancing amino acid therapy, several members on Healingwell.com contactacted the doctor involved and began the therapy, 1 saw outstanding, though temporary, results, one saw some improvement, others dropped out due to worsening of symptoms. The doctor said that some of the medications will cause worsening of symptoms until a proper balance is found, many just aren't interested in enduring the side effects to see if it will work out okay in the end, which is understandable.

There's also a link between the gut and serotonin production.

The genetic alleles linked to Crohn's are also linked to insufficient amino acid transport which could lead to mood altering effects.

Several of the invasive bacteria linked to the dysbiosis caused by Crohn's are linked to neurotransmitter complications.

Then of course vitamin deficiencies from malabsorption.

I'm also interested in the link between hormone imbalance and Crohn's -- I'm pretty convinced for myself that there are links between hormone imbalance / chronic inflammation / bacterial community imbalance / crohn's flare ups.

For years I have been telling doctors that I had both depression and flareups on a pretty consistent monthly cycle. Finally I got my FNP to prescribe me birth control pills with both estrogen and progesterone, and I take them consistently all month (no breaks). This has helped me enormously. If I forget to take a pill I can tell within 24 hours, because I am depressed and in pain.

I'm also on Humira, and I take 50mg Zoloft for anxiety. More than that and I get bad side effects. I'm interested in trying Welbutrin. Did you seen new article linking anxiety and IBD?

So, just a third (very non-random) sample for you...

Sometimes harmonal imbalance will cause severe problem such as fertile issues ,and some female related isses.Its recovered by simple way that taking in supplements.Fertilemd is best.

I agree.... the brain affects/ links directly to my crohns.