• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How much fish Oil per day?

How much fish oil should us with IBD take?

I read that it should be about 5 g a day of EPA!!!! Isn't that a lot? Wouldn't it have any adverse reaction?

I'm using one of the highest concentrated fish oils out there. It has 330 mg EPA and 220 DHA. So both are 550 mg. On the bottle they say take 2. So that's 1.1 g per day. Is this enough?

tonya_n_ky

I went to my family doctor today and asked him about it, he said that taking 2 with meals 3 times a day is ok. He said the extra would be flushed out of your system. So that's what I plan on doing and see how it goes.

Hi Tonya. Did you tell the doctor which dose of fish oil you take? As different brands have different concentrations of EPA and DHA.

Dekar. Try to make sure that the Salmon is from the wild and not farmed. As there has been lots of concerns lately on level of contaminants in farmed salmon. Try researching this on the net. I think they say you can only eat farmed Salmon twice per month?

A better solution than eating lots of Salmon is to get a high quality pharmaceutical grade fish oil supplement, that states clearly that it has been tested for contaminants

tonya_n_ky

Yes. Mine is 1200 mg.....432 mg (EPA) and 288 mg (DHA). I also told him about Daniel's advice on freezing them and he said he had offered it to people and they came back complaining about the taste so he was really excited to learn about that so thanks Daniel.