• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to know if you're in remission?

I have a question regarding remission. How exactly do you know if you're in remission? I have been on humira over a year now. It has helped some symptoms, but I still go to the bathroom quite often, not as much as before start humira, though. I still deal with pretty severe stomach aches/pains on a daily basis. Is this to be expected? Do we just live with these symptoms forever, even in remission? Or is this signs of not being in remission? As far as I know, I have never been in remission, I have never been told by my GI or any other doctor, yet. I want to be able to get a job without worrying about having to go to the bathroom, or having to worry about debilitating fatigue or debilitating stomach pains. /:

I don't really know, never having been in remission myself either, but I'd hope it was better than that! My image of remission would be just to have the occasional off day - like someone with a normal gut. (I believe that even in the total absence of symptoms you'd still need tests (blood, faeces, scopes etc?) to determine clinical remission as someone can feel perfectly well while the disease is actually progressing silently.)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I was in remission at one point and was for a few years, During that time, I didn't have any symptoms at all and believe it or not I even went without medication. It was a wonderful time! But, I could never do that again. Now, there's times I do fairly well. The only medication I dare go without is the canasa. I flare a bit once a month. And, my work is frequently too stressful for me and my stomach lets me know it.

If you're still having pain and symptoms, I wouldn't say you're in remission. Sometimes a little tweak of medication or something is needed. Especially if it's bothersome I'd contact your doctor's office. Keep striving and fighting for remission. We'll be with you along the way!

I was in remission at one point and was for a few years, During that time, I didn't have any symptoms at all and believe it or not I even went without medication. It was a wonderful time! But, I could never do that again. Now, there's times I do fairly well. The only medication I dare go without is the canasa. I flare a bit once a month. And, my work is frequently too stressful for me and my stomach lets me know it.

If you're still having pain and symptoms, I wouldn't say you're in remission. Sometimes a little tweak of medication or something is needed. Especially if it's bothersome I'd contact your doctor's office. Keep striving and fighting for remission. We'll be with you along the way!

Aww, I'm glad to hear you went a few years without problems. I will have to contact my doctor and talk to him about it. I've tried and have failed most medications so far, so my doctor put me on a double dose of humira (2 injections bi-weekly). I haven't found anything that works quite yet /: It gets to be depressing sometimes. Humira has however helped me from where I used to be, but I guess sometimes I feel like it's just not doing enough. I can't work, hate living the house sometimes, always afraid of the pain starting, or having to find a bathroom. Sometimes I don't know what to do.. Thank you so much :) Same to you! [emoji171][emoji171][emoji171]

True remission will mean that you do not have any symptoms. Have you tried anything with your diet or adding in supplements to your daily life? Those are the things that helped me to achieve remission and stay there.

I have a question regarding remission. How exactly do you know if you're in remission?
Hello. I am new here. Just joined.

I have had UC since 1999.

So for me, being in remission is shown by several things:

1) More energy
2) Less depression
3) No running to loo
4) Normal bowel movements - one in morning upon rising
5) No blood
6) No mucus
7) Able to tolerate certain foods that normally avoid
8) Sleeping through the night
9) No cramps
10) No pain
11) Minimal farting

Uc is always with you. It acts as a sin wave. When the pesk of the wave is high, you get a flare up. When the peak is low you have constipation. The frequency of the waves differs for each person. If you are not in a glsre up, you attribute this to a medication or diet. Baylor university gi dept recently reviewed 2000 papers on the dubject and concluded that flare ups cannot be prevented. So there is no remission. Thrre are just vsrying frequencies.

So there is no remission.

Disagree with that.

The medical definition is “Disappearance of the signs and symptoms of the disease. A remission can be temporary or permanent”.

I have had several periods of complete disappearance of the signs and symptoms of UC over the last ten years.

Granted I am not totally cured per se. But I am in remission during these periods.

Really saying there is no remission is such a negative thing. Glad I am not newly diagnosed and reading that.