• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Huel

Hi all, amongst my undiagnosed gut issues, something I decided to try after seeing some adverts on the web for it was Huel. It's basically a milled powder which you mix with water to create a "nutritionally complete" meal.
I've just finished one bag of the gluten free version, I mix 3-4 scoops with water for my lunch when I'm at work.

As for taste, there's been a few of my work colleagues try it with mixed results, some like it and some do not. I think it tastes a bit like a watery oats and wasn't keen on it at first but it's really grown on me now, and the convenience/cost factor is also good.
In the interests of fairness I've seen similar items like this such as Jake Shake, but Huel is the only one I've tried so far.

A few snippets from their web site that I thought might be useful:

Below is the full list of ingredients contained within Huel v2.3 - (Gluten Free) Unflavoured & Unsweetened

Ingredients: Gluten-Free OATS, Pea Protein, Flaxseed, Brown Rice Protein, MCT Powder (from Coconut),Sunflower Oil Powder, Thickeners: Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum, Micronutrient Blend*.

*Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin C, L-Choline Bitartrate, Lutein, Lycopene, Vitamin E (as D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate), Niacin (as Niacinamide), Vitamin K2 (as MK-7), Vitamin A (as Retinol Acetate), Vitamin D2, Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium-D-Pantothenate), Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Riboflavin, Vitamin K1, Chromium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, L-Methylfolate Calcium, Biotin, Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin).

FODMAPs are short-chain carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed and consequently ferment so can be irritant to some people's intestines(28). Huel is low in FODMAPs constituents so is suitable for people who follow a low-FODMAP diet.

Coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis - the oats in Huel (Original) are not gluten-free, so we suggest caution. Also, Huel is not suitable for individuals with very sensitive gluten intolerance. However, we now have a Gluten-free version of Huel.

Inflammatory bowel disease - if you suffer from Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis or proctitis, and are experiencing a flare-up, we advise caution when using Huel. However, if you’re in remission, Huel may actually be beneficial.

An interesting thread about Huel and IBD from the Huel forums:
https://discuss.huel.com/t/huel-and-ibd-crohnsandcolitis-com/1764/10

Sounds interesting. How's the fibre content? I'm looking for something nutritional but low fibre, the 2 usually don't go together :(

The fibre is also high in this I'm afraid, it says between 128-132% of the recommended daily amount of fibre.
I suppose as it's a powder you mix with water, you can always go less on the powder and greater on the water, but yeah if fibre is a problem that might not work for you, sorry :(