• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and depression

Hi!
I have been on Humira for 5 months now.
Im wondering if somone else is feeling depressed after they started with the shots?

I am 27years old and been trough ups and down during life. But after i started with the Humira threatment i feel like i am in bubble that i cant get out of.
It got so far that i actually got sent to a mental hospital.
I really think this is side effects. Cus i have never been like this before.

Is there anyone else outhere who feel the same way?

As far as I know there are no links with Humira with any Mental Health issues? It is a TNF blocker so again as far as I know there is no link to your mental state.

How long since you were diagnosed?

I would say that if you are feeling depressed it has to do with the disease itself rather than the Himura

I would strongly look at speaking with you GP and discussing the many options available.

CBT, Anti Depressants, exercise, Meditation, Yoga.....

When I was first diagnosed I went through a very rocky patch and still have bad days like most would if they had a chronic disease but it does get better and thigns will improve.

I got the first symtoms in September 2012. I thought it was cus i was stressed in a tough period at work. I went to my doc in May 2013. When i couldnt stand the pain anymore and the syptoms only got worse.
I got diagnosed in June 1013. And i started right away with Humira.

And now i am very depressed. I dont feel like myselfe. Every day is a struggle.
I cant work anymore cus i dont belive in myselfe.
If i meet my friends i would only start to cry.
I get easily upset and mad. So I fight often with my family.
Never felt so alone before.
And the days of staying in bed instead of get up and live happens more often.
If i have on good day.(one out of then) i need to sleep for three days.

I have tried to brake out of it. Meet my friends often. My boss made my work easy. So i only work 20%.
But nothing seem to help. And i really dont want to start ob anti depress medication.

Its so strange. Cus before all this i was a positive yes person who everyone enjoyed hanging out with. And now its all gone.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I got the first symtoms in September 2012. I thought it was cus i was stressed in a tough period at work. I went to my doc in May 2013. When i couldnt stand the pain anymore and the syptoms only got worse.
I got diagnosed in June 1013. And i started right away with Humira.

And now i am very depressed. I dont feel like myselfe. Every day is a struggle.
I cant work anymore cus i dont belive in myselfe.
If i meet my friends i would only start to cry.
I get easily upset and mad. So I fight often with my family.
Never felt so alone before.
And the days of staying in bed instead of get up and live happens more often.
If i have on good day.(one out of then) i need to sleep for three days.

I have tried to brake out of it. Meet my friends often. My boss made my work easy. So i only work 20%.
But nothing seem to help. And i really dont want to start ob anti depress medication.

Its so strange. Cus before all this i was a positive yes person who everyone enjoyed hanging out with. And now its all gone.
Hi gerdy, I'm so sorry to see that you are struggling with this.

I've not heard of humira having effects on mood or mental well being, but having crohns certainly can.

You've only been diagnosed a few months, and so the reality of what's happening is likely to only now be truely hitting home. I understand how devastating it can be to go from being independent and active to suddenly being very sick and feeling as though you can't do anything. I was just starting a nursing degree when my crohns got severe and now I cant work or study at all. Please know that you aren't alone, we understand what it's like to be going through this.

There is no shame in what you are feeling. There is also no shame in going to your doctor and speaking to them about how you are feeling. They may suggest antidepressants, but these are just one of a number of options. You don't have to put up with this, you didn't ask for any of it and you don't have to suffer in silence. Take a leap, if you fall, we'll catch you.

I got like this when I started Remicade for the first time but it only lasted a couple of weeks. I'm an EXTREMELY upbeat person and it was a shock to my system to experience depression.

Since then (but also since babies and a rough patch in my marriage) I've had a few bouts of depression but I feel like I know the causes. I'm wondering, after reading your post, if i'm a little more prone to it because of being on a biologic.

. . . interesting. . .

I would definitely make an appt with a therapist who can help you figure out how to live without anti-depressants, if that is possible.

good luck.

If you look at the long list of side effects on the leaflet in the box of Humira you will find 'depression' listed.

Have a chat with your GI about your symptoms and maybe they might consider changing you to another TNF blocker.

Depression is a horrible thing, don't leave it, ask for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry your going thru this Gerdy. I feel I can relate to what you are going through. With all of the diet change, medication and testing it can be very tiring dealing with it all. I know my husband doesn't really understand even though he says he does.

I hope you can find a support person to help you. Please don't ignore your depressed feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so glad I found this forum. I have recently noticed this "trapped" feeling as well. I have been on Humira for over two years and have found I have more low points than ever. I've been ignoring these feelings for a while now, passing it off as just stress but I'm glad I'm not alone in these feelings. Thank you for your original post, I needed to know I wasn't alone tonight.

You know, I was chalking my bouts of anxiety/depression to hormonal changes after having children but its been 2+ years now and I still have them. It seems that it takes much less stress than ever to start the bouts.

I have an apt Wednesday. I've been on Humira for a few years (for fistulae) and have found out (about 6 months ago) that I have extensive communicating fistulae in my rectal area that I was unaware of. Seems to me that it is time for me to come off the biologics all together.

I've been on Humira for about a year and a half and I recently started having a lot of anxiety issues. At work in particular, I seem to over-fixate on things that go wrong, or I worry about things possibly going wrong. It's extremely stressful to be in this state of tense...paranoia, almost.

However, there is no way of telling whether it's the Humira that's causing this.

I stopped the Humira in March. 3 weeks later my depression lifted. It was DEFINITELY causing depression/anxiety.

Going on 7 years on weekly Humira and at least as upbeat as ever. In my case it may be a mood elevator, which is strange because I am an injection phobic.

I can understand that some folks may get depressed because of a feeling of dependence on an injection - pills are a lot easier to accept, but not me.

good for you jjk! Glad you were not affected.
It wasn't a depression related to "who-is-me", it was a chemical imbalance brought on by the Humira.

I've experienced this myself Humira really made a mess of me mentally.
I can relate to everything you've mentioned here and more and I can assure you it all stopped once I stopped injecting the drug.

I stopped the Humira in March. 3 weeks later my depression lifted. It was DEFINITELY causing depression/anxiety.
This exactly how it went for me around 3 weeks after stopping the world was such a better place no more issues at all.
I have never taken another drug since not even ibuprofen humira scared the shit out of me I had never felt or been so out of control in my life.
Never again.

Hi Gerdy
Could you please reply whenever you read this
I really could do with talking to someone that actually understands these side effects rather than pointing things in other directions.
In my case I know for an absolute fact that it was the drug causing my issues.
When I spoke to my doctor regarding this he said " this can happen" but couldn't tell me as to why.
I'm wondering did you ever find out anything.