• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IBD Doubles Risk of Heart Attack...

I would speculate that any disease with a similar degree of inflammation would increase the likelihood of a heart attack.

Arteries get blocked largely as a result of inflammation and the bodies attempt to protect the arteries by forming plaque.

Dan

Lady Organic

Staff member
My blood platelets get high when I am in a flare. Thats actually the first maker of inflammation we can see in my reports.

We must watch out for signs of thrombosis (i.e leg swelling):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26270113

Hypercoagulability and Platelet Abnormalities in Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
Senchenkova E1, Seifert H1, Granger DN1.

Author information

1Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport, Shreveport, Louisiana.

Abstract

Patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) exhibit a threefold higher risk for development of systemic thrombosis than the general population. Although the underlying causes of the increased risk for thrombus development remain poorly understood, there is a large body of evidence suggesting that abnormalities in coagulation, fibrinolysis, and platelet function may contribute to this response. Changes in hemostatic biomarkers are consistent with subclinical activation of coagulation system, including tissue factor activation, impaired protein C pathway, enhanced thrombin generation, and diminished fibrinolytic capacity. There is also evidence for an increased production and reactivity of platelets, with an enhanced formation of platelet-platelet and platelet-leukocyte aggregates. The altered coagulation and platelet function, and the predisposition to thrombus formation have also been demonstrated in animal models of IBD. The animal studies have revealed a major role for inflammatory cytokines, including tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin (IL)-1β, and IL-6, as mediators of the platelet abnormalities and enhanced thrombus development in experimental IBD. These findings in animal models raise hope for the development of novel therapeutic strategies to reduce thrombosis-related mortality in IBD patients.

Last edited: